DYI Live Food - Brine Shrimp

rodrigo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the waters with growing adult brine shrimp for my fish. So far so good. I'm about to see if I can have success with a DYI Trigger Pod Hatchery.
IMG_0955.JPG

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi very nice, I have tried but failed,

Can you please guide me step by step.
Right now I am having JBJ brine shrimp hatchery, in which I have succeeded in hatching and I am struggling to know how to grow it to adult. Please guide me is you feel comfortable.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have succeeded this task once before...I used a small hob protein skimmer which is a Chance to stick some up but still grew them to adult...to where you can see the way they swim....I wish I had pics. I always feed them spiralina powder. They will reproduce on their own but the food has to be there in order for them to bear live baby brine...

OP
OP
rodrigo123

rodrigo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi very nice, I have tried but failed,

Can you please guide me step by step.
Right now I am having JBJ brine shrimp hatchery, in which I have succeeded in hatching and I am struggling to know how to grow it to adult. Please guide me is you feel comfortable.

I failed several times before I finally figured it out. I start with fresh RODI water mixed with the same salt mix I use for my aquarium. I mix to a gravity of 1.025. I put the brine shrimp eggs in the cut soda bottle with an air line. You want the bubbles to gently keep the eggs moving. I keep them in there for 2 days. Then turn off the airline and let everything settle. I place a light in the corner to attract as many brine shrimp as possible. I use a turkey baster to suck up just the baby brine shrimp. I then put them in a 2 gal tank with fresh mixed salt water and an airline. The airline is just to provide oxygen so I have it very low (Iittle turbulence). I dip my finger in the spirulina powder and place it in the water. You just want to tint the water with it. When the water gets clear, you do it again. I hope this helps.
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted quite a bit on the Food section of my blog about brine shrimp (Artemia spp.) recently. Quite a bit of good in there for the DIY'er. I think I'm missing the post for the article I have on phyto-culture though....hrm.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back