Easiest corals to care for

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what are some good beginner corals to try out and have success with

Define "success."

If your only goal is to have coral in your tank and have them grow and multiply:

* Xenia/Anthelia/Cestipularia
* Green Star Polyps
* Clove
* Kenya Tree
* Toadstool Leather
* Devil's Hand Leather
* Zoanthid
* Mushrooms (esp. Rhodactis)
* Cabbage

Do note, though, that most of these corals pose several long-term problems. For one, they all engage in fairly heavy chemical warfare to carve out their space, so if you want to keep other corals you need some decent filtration (especially activated carbon, a protein skimmer helps as well) to mitigate this.

Second, most of them have a tendency to spread like wildfire in your tank. Without an advance plan (like the aforementioned isolation island) they can easily cover every surface in your tank. The two biggest offenders here are GSP and Xenia, but all of them other than the leathers can spread pretty quickly. Toadstools can also drop babies like crazy, but it usually takes them a few years to get big enough that they start doing this, and the resulting babies are easy to pick up, attach to a frag plug, and sell/trade to other hobbyists/LFS.

Brandon3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Zoas, just be careful to keep them away from your main rockwork if you don't want them spreading. Made that mistake before.

Plan little rock islands for them

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what are some good beginner corals to try out and have success with
Devils hand leathers, zoanthids that are more og the popular variety like rastas, scrambled eggs, eagle eyes ect.. some variety of mushroom.. sps - montipora of anykind as long as maintain basic parameters those will grow like weeds. But anything softie is the way to go when starting out.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back