chalice
scroll

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 as well. I looked into keeping sharks, but was too new to the hobby and it seemed like they required a lot more space. Good luck!!!

For corals, I reccomend staying away from xenia, it is easy to grow, too easy. Even in a bottom corner w almost no light it grows. You have to prune it constantly and remove it from other structures- idk if you want to have that much hands on/detail work in the tank if the sharks are easily stressed. I also dont reccomend green star polyps, they tend to change to a dirty brown and loose the beautiful green in low lighting. Mushrooms can give you a lot of color variety. You could also try Moniporas. They are a sps but very mild mannered, they come in a ton of colors and range from plating to encrusting to branching etc in a variety of colors. They are tolerant of a wide range of lighting but can be kept in lower light, but may slow growth. At this point i have 30 or so corals in my tank, some peices are 5-6 inches, others 1 or 2 inch frags. Sps/lps/anemones. I dont need any supplements other than water changes. Unless you're buying huge pieces of coral, you will probe fine without a dosing pump. Just monitor your levels

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mishmatch of softies & lps.
I find mushrooms, leathers, acans (if you feed them), blastos and duncans are all pretty hardy/hard to kill in my experience.

In terms of stinging, I'm not sure what your lil shark can handle, but I'd say it's kind of a crap shoot depending on the individual coral imo. I've had a single polyp of a zoa kill a 3 head frag of acans then take over the frag, a mushroom sting the head off a blasto, a blasto sting a hole in a monti and my dendo (which is supposed to be super aggressive) doesn't seem to bother anything it touches. It's kind of weird. I've also had mushrooms/blastos grow right next to acans without any visibly issues/stinging. My duncans seem pretty zen as far as aggression goes, but they do eat voraciously if given the opportunity.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn has never stung anything, its sweeper tentacles never get much longer than an inch or two, and my lawnmower blenny hangs out underneath it and swims through it all the time. I just had to harvest some, it was literally the size of a volleyball. Well, I guess half a volleyball, it wasn't totally circular since the backside was under a montipora coral. Zoa's, toadstool, Xenia, GSP (careful, they'll take over. Saw a pet shop the other day that had it on the bottom, covered most of a 40 gallon breeder tank bottom, looked really freakin' cool!) and don't forget the Shrooms!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These come up, once in a while, easy species
Lemnalia sp.

Photo sample, given one by mistake, I do NPS softies. I have 6500k light, all it needs. Hardy

images.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back