Ecotech- Radion XR30 Gen 4

Sylvester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!
I don’t complain on a regular basis, especially on a forum, but I’ve reached my limit.

We are discussing Radions power LED champ; XR30 Gen 4 light in this issue.

I notice one light being all blue during the day as it deviated its schedule. After connecting to Mobius, I discovered a message saying “open circuit”. I proceeded to do the normal power cycling and resets , etc.

After taking to the net , my answers were narrowed down to an unsuccessful outcome.

I reached out to Ecotech, at which that took me almost 4 days for a response which is out of the normal. I use to resolve issues within the 30 min that I spoke to them.

After emails back and forth I was told that Ecotech is no longer producing replacement parts for my light and they can offer me a 40% discount on a gen 5 light.

So, my issue is that from a company that was small and made a solid product we have crossed over to money hungry machine that really doesn’t care about the client. Why would I after having a product for 3 years now go and spend another 2,600 dollars on a product that I don’t want.
I can buy replacement parts for a 40 year old car, but can’t buy replacement lenses for an aquarium light.

I think this is absolutely ridiculous as I had Ecotech’s first ever LED XR 30 and it ran for 5 years without a single LED burning out , and still sold it used to someone else.

It’s time for me to step away from this money machine it’s become and find a company that has a bit more business sense.

That’s all I wanted to say Have a great weekend and Thanksgiving

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This very issue, in fact, is the reason I've started offering a repair service for these and many other types of expensive equipment in this hobby. Much like everyone else, I can't get board and cluster replacements from any manufacturer. BUT, those are comprised of components that are readily available from reputable vendors. As a result, I can do a component level repair, which only replaces failed components and helps keeping the costs down. And I no longer at the device manufacturer mercy to stock replacement parts.

I really dislike the manufacturers trying their hardest to stay in control of the devices once they've been sold to end user. And this trend continues to get worse every year.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sent my gen 4 in for repair. The service department was great but same story, driver board was bad and no parts were available. I had bough this used and had gotten less than a year out of it before it died. Pretty frustrating. They did ship it back to me for free though. Thought that was pretty good.
Jeff

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent my gen 4 in for repair. The service department was great but same story, driver board was bad and no parts were available. I had bough this used and had gotten less than a year out of it before it died. Pretty frustrating. They did ship it back to me for free though. Thought that was pretty good.
Jeff
Yes, I’ll send for repair, but I’m sending from Toronto ,and it ain’t cheap. I then have to pay border fees if you believe it on the import side. I’m so ticked off

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This very issue, in fact, is the reason I've started offering a repair service for these and many other types of expensive equipment in this hobby. Much like everyone else, I can't get board and cluster replacements from any manufacturer. BUT, those are comprised of components that are readily available from reputable vendors. As a result, I can do a component level repair, which only replaces failed components and helps keeping the costs down. And I no longer at the device manufacturer mercy to stock replacement parts.

I really dislike the manufacturers trying their hardest to stay in control of the devices once they've been sold to end user. And this trend continues to get worse every year.
I appreciate you trying to help out , but if the manufacturer ends production of components I guess it’s impossible to fix it.

This hobby use to be fun, and now with all the bullcrap in the world it’s beginning to question my length of staying in it.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless it’s under warranty you might consider sending it to @_AV who sounds like can fix it. If it’s an older one like mine Ecotech will possibly give you the parts aren’t available response and your out all that shipping costs.
Jeff
I second this. @_AV is a great option for repair.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you trying to help out , but if the manufacturer ends production of components I guess it’s impossible to fix it.

This hobby use to be fun, and now with all the bullcrap in the world it’s beginning to question my length of staying in it.
That's the thing. The light manufacturer does not actually make any components. They buy them on the open market just like everyone else and put them together into an assembled unit.
And even then, almost always there are several suppliers for each part and substitutions are readily available. Over the years of doing this, I've yet to run into a component I can't eventually source.

There are two primary reasons ecotech does not keep stock of boards and clusters for older models:
1. Cost
2. Profit

Some older parts, especially LEDs tend to cost more once they are no longer the primary focus for component manufacturer. ecotech needs to update schematics, BOMs and boards every time they'd have to substitute a component, which is no longer available. They'd have to adjust the price every time the cost of BOM changes. This directly affects the cost of LED clusters and boards. Also, supporting older models costs money.

There is more money in selling new lights than supporting older models. They would much rather sell you another $850 light than charge $200-$300 to repair an old one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing. The light manufacturer does not actually make any components. They buy them on the open market just like everyone else and put them together into an assembled unit.
And even then, almost always there are several suppliers for each part and substitutions are readily available. Over the years of doing this, I've yet to run into a component I can't eventually source.

There are two primary reasons ecotech does not keep stock of boards and clusters for older models:
1. Cost
2. Profit

Some older parts, especially LEDs tend to cost more once they are no longer the primary focus for component manufacturer. ecotech needs to update schematics, BOMs and boards every time they'd have to substitute a component, which is no longer available. They'd have to adjust the price every time the cost of BOM changes. This directly affects the cost of LED clusters and boards. Also, supporting older models costs money.

There is more money in selling new lights than supporting older models. They would much rather sell you another $850 light than charge $200-$300 to repair an old one.
I guess it’s all about money now. I know every company needs to make money but having a light for 3 years and not having parts makes no sense.

It’s better to go back to T5 and replace bulbs every year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back