Elevated phosphate help needed!

dpfriedman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new Hannah LR phosphate checker bc tbh I’ve used the API test in the past and finally bit the bullet and got a new digital tester.

I have a 175g and tested the phosphates 3 times and came back with 2.11ppm. Yes, you read that correctly 2.11.

I have a bunch of tangs and barely run the whites so I don’t have an algae problem.

Need suggestions on how to get the phosphates down. I know I can’t rapidly do it or it’ll stress the corals or potentially crash the tank.

I have added (3) 5.5oz media bags of ChemiPure Blue. Each bag says it’s good for 35 gallons. So I have enough in the sump in the last chamber just before the return pump to treat 105 gallons.

I implemented a Refugium about 2 weeks ago with caulerpa but I know it takes a while for it to kick in.

I test nitrates weekly and they are 40 for this tank.

I do have some PhosGuard that I picked up but didn’t want to add that along with ChemiPure until I got some feedback on the forum.

Any advanced advice appreciated.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell’s phosphat-e is what I use . You can use GFO but no matter what you use, just bring it down slowly. Phosphat-e is a lantham chloride based product

OP
OP
dpfriedman

dpfriedman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell’s phosphat-e is what I use . You can use GFO but no matter what you use, just bring it down slowly. Phosphat-e is a lantham chloride based product
I removed my skimmer when I put in my Refugium. Do you have to use a skimmer to use Phosphat-e?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a new Hannah LR phosphate checker bc tbh I’ve used the API test in the past and finally bit the bullet and got a new digital tester.

I have a 175g and tested the phosphates 3 times and came back with 2.11ppm. Yes, you read that correctly 2.11.

I have a bunch of tangs and barely run the whites so I don’t have an algae problem.

Need suggestions on how to get the phosphates down. I know I can’t rapidly do it or it’ll stress the corals or potentially crash the tank.

I have added (3) 5.5oz media bags of ChemiPure Blue. Each bag says it’s good for 35 gallons. So I have enough in the sump in the last chamber just before the return pump to treat 105 gallons.

I implemented a Refugium about 2 weeks ago with caulerpa but I know it takes a while for it to kick in.

I do have some PhosGuard that I picked up but didn’t want to add that along with ChemiPure until I got some feedback on the forum.

I rarely if ever use chemicals to lower levels which can either work too quickly leading to other issues or often an alternative and not a solution.

My successful method was 3-4 gallon water changes daily for 10-14 days along with phoszorb media in the sump in path of Running water. Other media which I use full time is ChemiPure elite which contains GFO and will gradually lower po4 and keep it in check

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordinarily I would agree with vetteguy 53081 but in your case because of your phosphate number I would be a little more aggressive , but that’s my opinion .Feed less and cut back using reef roids for a while if you using it . Also bring down your nitrates to between 15-20 ppm . You can do water changes while adding brightwells microbactor 7 to bring them down . If you have a sand cleaner attached to your siphon it wouldn’t hurt to clean the sand a bit .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I ask why you are using chemiclean?

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had phosphate over 3 lol its been about 2 months now, I'm down to 1.5. I use phosphate E, 50 ml mixed in to 4L rodi and drip it over 3 days.

Tried GFO, tried rowaphos, tried huge water changes over weeks, none worked. I have a giant Refugium, I ran carbon but no need anymore, nitrate stays at 3 currently. I really like phosphate e, but use it wisely. I drip from my overflow into the socks. My tangs are fine, corals finally opened back up, nems coming back out. 220 display, 120 sump.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, your tank is doing fine, correct? Why panic and consider this an emergency? Some run phos over 2 and have amazing tanks.
Just food for thought... You don't want to look back in a couple months and wish you had left things alone.

OP
OP
dpfriedman

dpfriedman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you are using chemiclean?
I just had some that I got at Aquashella.

I had to move my Octo 202 Classic skimmer to the sump off the shelf when I added my ReefMat so I had no area for a Refugium.

Funny story, a couple of weeks ago here at the Reefapalooza Ryan from BRS was at it and he sat and chilled out with me and my gf between speaking gigs and I told him about my issue and he suggested to take out my skimmer and add the macroalgae.

So I removed my skimmer and added a good amount of caulerpa I got from my LFS and hung a Kessill A80 Fuge light and waiting on it to take hold.

After testing my PO4 I knew I had to do something to get them down and let the Fuge take over. I know ChemiPure blue is like GFO on steroids. I was going to just use it for a short time to get the levels headed in the right direction then pull it out. I wouldn’t leave it 24/7 for weeks on it. I’m testing PO4 every other day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back