OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my chiller and reactors all hooked up. Had to order another 6ft of silbrade at roughly $8 per foot. Manifold and tee into the return line are working okay, but I am having a heck of a time dialing in my zeovit reactor.

I've got a 2L Avast Vibe, that I bought as a you build kit to save a little cash. Never had issues with it on other system, but plumbed as a closed loop returning into my main return line is creating a lot of head pressure and pressurizing the reactor. I've had to reglue about a dozen tiny little leaks. Not sure if it's incompetence on my part or flawed thinking running the chiller and reactor back into my main return line. The original thinking was that the 2nd pump could function as a bit of a backup return should my main fail.

On a brighter note, the tank is cycled. I added some ARC Purple Helix to see if that helps kick start my coralline growth. I'm generally skeptical about miracle in a bottle type products, but it has really good reviews. Running only the Radions at All Blue and Deep Blue settings until I start adding coral. I hear coralline algae likes blues.

Plan to add about 50 trochus snails later this week if I can get my fish guy to go to wholesale for me. If the snails thrive for a week and my chemistry looks good, I will add my PJ cardinals back. I'll wait another week or two before putting my pearlyscale wrasse and flame wrasse pair in, as I don't want to risk killing the flame wrasses in an immature system. Desjardni tang will wait in QT while I decide what other tang I will add, so I can put them in at the same time and hopefully avoid an all out war. Probably wait another 2-3 months before putting my mertensi and two spotcintus clowns back in that system to make sure I don't kill the anemone. I may try a few starter SPS, like cheap montis and birdsnest once the chemistry looks good for a month.

Also going to upgrade my OG Apex Aquacontroller head unit with the 2016, so moving all of my setting over will be an adventure.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that avast reactor is designed for significant head pressure would give avast marine a shout on that one . ..... I am considering getting one myself for a little side project . Nothing wrong with cheap corals lol How do you like your light ?

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that avast reactor is designed for significant head pressure would give avast marine a shout on that one . ..... I am considering getting one myself for a little side project . Nothing wrong with cheap corals lol How do you like your light ?
Honestly, I really dig the Avast products. From what I can tell my leaks have subsided. Dan from Avast told me that too much head pressure should only result in o-ring leaks. If you are super handy and patient, the kits are fun. If you want perfect out of the box, might be better to buy a fully assembled one.

My lights are great. I ran the 3x Radion G4s on the previous build, but kept them pretty low to keep from killing my nems and LPS. I haven't even turned on the T5s yet, outside of testing them and getting PAR readings. I will switch over to Ecotech's SPS AB+ and running the T5s 6-7 hours a day once I have some corals in the tank. Probably throw a few montis and stylos in there in a few weeks. So bizarre having a tank with no coral.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I like the idea of the kits looks like fun! On my previous tank I ran t5 with a radion gen three and coral growth took of with the addition of t5 . Im going to pick up that t5 fixture , it's going to be a perfect fit for what i'm trying to achieve .I ran my gen 3 on 50% on a thirty inch deep tank those radios pack a lot of punch !

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates...
- Had a parasite outbreak from a mis-quarantined fish, couldn't remove them all so I pulled the corals and inverts instead.
- Ran Cu in my display with rocks. Killed the parasites, managed to get the Cu down to near undetectable according to Triton. Inverts doing fine, fish doing well, corals not looking great, but I attribute a lot of that to pretty new system for SPS.
- My Avast Vibe sprung a leak (likely from over tightening) so I am switching to a Pax Bellum ARID.
- Overall, pretty happy with things considering that this tank was cycling 9 months ago and had about a 2 month setback when fish parasites snuck in.
- Had a quick Dino outbreak that I was able to beat by raising my NO3
- In the middle of a bubble algae outbreak (treating with Vibrant for a couple months now, probably take 1-2 more months to kill off)

Current livestock:
- 20" Mertensii Carpet
- Roughly 25 SPS tester frags... A few are encrusting, a few died. Expecting a long road before my tank is really SPS ready.
- Bandit Angel (5")
- Black Longnose Tang (3")
- Declivis Butterly (2.5")
- Lineatus Wrasse (6.5")
- Flame Wrasse (5")
- Velvet Multicolored Wrasse (5")
- Pearlyscale Wrasse (5")
- Golden Rhomboid Wrasse (4")
- Labout's Wrasse (4")
- Pintail Isosceles Wrasse (3.5")
- Spotcintus Clown Pair (3-4")
- Pajama Cardinals x4 (2.5-3")
- Lyretail Anthias x2 (2.5-3.5")
Next week after QT is done: Aussie Harlequin Tusk (5")

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back