Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
i want what is this
Something like a sponge causes suffocation for all my corals
what do i do.
help for emergency thanks

Screenshot_20240207-082423.png Screenshot_20240207-082401.png Screenshot_20240207-082738.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hi
i want what is this
Something like a sponge causes suffocation for all my corals
what do i do.
help for emergency thanks

Screenshot_20240207-082423.png Screenshot_20240207-082401.png Screenshot_20240207-082738.png
Hard to assess a coral out of water but from missing tissue, its either bleaching or suspect, Soft tissue nicrosis. Some causes and things to check are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- Addition of new corals

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sponge is growing over the coral's flesh, then it's definitely a bad - same for if the coral's were growing and healthy, then started closing and decaying after the sponge appeared by it.

In addition to the thread above, here are some removal suggestions that may help:
The best way I've heard to control sponge growth at this point is to use a steel straw to scrape and siphon out the sponge you want to remove. Sometimes you can create bad conditions for them and kill them off that way, but that's typically much harder and not always effective.

Some other sponge removal methods:
Other suggestions include exposing the sponge to air (obviously not a guaranteed solution, and definitely not viable for this situation); hydrogen peroxide dipping the sponge (again, not viable here); injecting the sponge with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, boiling water, or air; microbubbles in the display; and a few more. Predation is not usually a good solution for this issue
Basically, if the sponges have enough food and enough trace elements (which for most sponges includes silicates) to meet their needs, then you’ll see their populations booming.

If you can figure out what’s allowing them to thrive in your tank, then you can deal with that root cause and get rid of them.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen everything but I have never seen sponge compete with live coral flesh in 15 years. Just never. I have a ton of sponge all over my system but I have never seen it predatory on live flesh.

Just my observations; your situation could be different.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen everything but I have never seen sponge compete with live coral flesh in 15 years. Just never. I have a ton of sponge all over my system but I have never seen it predatory on live flesh.

Just my observations; your situation could be different.
Yeah, the overwhelming majority of sponges are harmless in our tanks - a handful of sponges (like the infamous Terpios hoshinota) can, unfortunately, grow over and smother live corals though. They're very rare in our tanks, but I've seen a handful of different cases of it happening.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back