emergency - salinity drop to 1.019 from 1.026 w/ SPS, LPS

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I hope someone can help here or at least let me know what is the best approach to take at a huge salinity drop due to gravity fed ATO failing. It never fails. I am away and lucky a fellow reefer was able to check on things. I must of dumped 40 gal of RODI into a 180 gal tank. it is a mixed reef and have many priced corals, which I am very concerned. I run this tank at 1.026 normally, but after this incident today it looks like it is 1.019. I know fish will be fine, but wanted to know if I am at a risk of losing most corals. My friend seems to think that everything should be OK and just bring up the salinity slowly. let me know if anyone had dealt with similar situation and the possible loss of corals.

Thanks

Tha Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I hope someone can help here or at least let me know what is the best approach to take at a huge salinity drop due to gravity fed ATO failing. It never fails. I am away and lucky a fellow reefer was able to check on things. I must of dumped 40 gal of RODI into a 180 gal tank. it is a mixed reef and have many priced corals, which I am very concerned. I run this tank at 1.026 normally, but after this incident today it looks like it is 1.019. I know fish will be fine, but wanted to know if I am at a risk of losing most corals. My friend seems to think that everything should be OK and just bring up the salinity slowly. let me know if anyone had dealt with similar situation and the possible loss of corals.

Thanks
I'm still new tanks been up a month and I've dealt with this or something similar. I just added fresh ro di water over time. I would add a cup full about every 15 mins.

I have a small 30 gallon cube though so I'm sure it varies but u should be fine. Just nothing all at once and similar temperatures if it's way off.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix some salt with the tank water in a bucket or jug....make sure it is completely dissolved!!!!! The add the super saline water to your sump a few times until you see your salinity rise back to normal. Go slowly

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these happen recently and I think you will be okay. Bring the salinity back up slowly over a period of days by topping it off with saltwater instead of freshwater or you can do small water changes with a higher salinity.
Yep, knee jerking back the other way is a bad idea. Just let it slowly rise back from evaporation, and get ready with iodine and antibiotics in case of brown jelly from the stress.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back