Emperor Angel flicking

-Nana-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emperor Angel is flicking. He doesn’t seem sick and has no visible spots, wounds, etc. Is this normal behavior?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's called flashing. It is basically the fish scratching against some skin irritation. Fish will also "fin flick" where they flick their fins, for the same reasons. A couple of flashes now and again may not indicate anything serious, but in the video, the fish seems pretty intent on flashing. With no spots visible, the typical diagnosis is flukes. Emperor angels often develop Neobendenia flukes, but those usually also cause slightly cloudy eyes which I can't really see in the video. If the condition worsens, you should treat for flukes. Hyposalinity works for most flukes (but cannot be done with invertebrates present). All exposed fish will need to be treated. Praziquantel is a reef safe treatment, but it does not always eradicate flukes 100%, especially Neo.

Can you provide more history - how long you've had the fish, how long its been flashing, other animals in the tank, etc.

Jay

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back