Ethics article and discussion of marine aquarium trade

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The destruction of our reefs is almost inevitable with or without the ornamental fish trade, I believe the statistic is by 2050 90% of natural reefs will be gone which is less than 30 years. My guess is that the reefs will be gone by the next century from the wild. And guess where will be the only place we will be able to see live coral… that’s right aquariums. Also I’m not taking anything you’re writing the wrong way I love hearing peoples opinions and having a discussion
Disagree

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason for disagreement?

"almost inevitable"
"by 2050 90% of natural reefs will be gone "
"And guess where will be the only place we will be able to see live coral… that’s right aquariums. "
There Is no scientific evidence for 1, 2, or 3.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to post a heretical post - I think we all can agree that global warming and cooling has happened in cycles over the millennia. Lets agree - the warming this time is more related to humans... OK - all good. My guess is just as in prior times when it was not human related, Coral reefs will come back.

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"almost inevitable"
"by 2050 90% of natural reefs will be gone "
"And guess where will be the only place we will be able to see live coral… that’s right aquariums. "
There Is no scientific evidence for 1, 2, or 3.
There is, I’m not pulling this out of my butt surprising, I posted a link to a article, here is another one, with the exact same statistic, or you can just search it up.

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to post a heretical post - I think we all can agree that global warming and cooling has happened in cycles over the millennia. Lets agree - the warming this time is more related to humans... OK - all good. My guess is just as in prior times when it was not human related, Coral reefs will come back.
That’s… could be true but even in the past if things did go well, how damaged the reefs will be plus prolonged human exposure it’s not a stretch to say that would be a few million years

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also global warming is not natural as the temperatures are much higher than regular fluctuations. In fact scientists say that we are approaching a sixth and probably largest mass extinction. I’m not going to argue with you on global warming and how ****** the world is but I hope you find peace and see all the information and research out there proving it

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also global warming is not natural as the temperatures are much higher than regular fluctuations. In fact scientists say that we are approaching a sixth and probably largest mass extinction. I’m not going to argue with you on global warming and how ****** the world is but I hope you find peace and see all the information and research out there proving it
I am becoming more and more confused, what theory are you are attempting to support ?

You seem to be suggesting aquariums are positive because they are other things that are more destructive? Surely an objective viewpoint would be to consider each in its own right.

I don't see how the comparisons you are making support anything, with regards conservation they all seem to have a net negative.

My perception is that the aquarium trade and hobby is in essence, about consumerism not conservation. A pragmatic approach would seem to me to accept, that ethics and morals are about compromise.

Food is a necessity, aquariums are a luxury.

I don't want to deny any one the occasional luxury, however with that comes a great responsibility. I also mentioned earlier 'collateral'. To minimise negative collateral that ones desires produce, one needs to be responsible, open, honest and wiling to constantly review our practices in line with a changing environment.

Pictures of children staring into aquariums is not going to change anything. Its simply a marketing strategy used by lobbyists. The aquarium industry needs to stop looking outside and pay more attention to what's happening inside. It needs to look forward, not a static defence that inevitably develops into a rear guard action. The shape of its future, I believe depends on it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe I said 'global warming is being influenced by humans'. So - I don't believe we have any argument, except, that if you truly believed what you were saying, it seems that you wouldn't be involved in an industry which is a total luxury, uses a great deal of energy, and at least some people would say (as you pointed out in your OP) - Is unethical

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason for disagreement?

PS - there are multiple examples for example in the Great Barrier Reef, that the reef is recovering to a degree (whether this will continue or not I don't know) - there are multiple articles about this. https://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature/is-the-great-barrier-reef-making-a-comeback/

It is my opinion that compared to warming, pollution, is a far greater and potentially easier problem to solve. When countries dump raw sewage into the ocean, etc - its not helping.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a scientist, and I totally disagree with all this global warming garbage. Science does not PROVE things. Please brush up on the scientific method.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this thread pop up and was surprised its still going..
Looks like I'm just in time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a scientist, and I totally disagree with all this global warming garbage. Science does not PROVE things. Please brush up on the scientific method.

That is a false "appeal to authority" argument. I'm also a scientist and I disagree with you. See how that doesn't work?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back