Ever heard of the pink Linckia??

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiflora seem to be starfish & tunicate eaters in my experience, mine eat 3-5 asterinas per day and I've seen them parked on some colonial tunicates that have made their way into my tanks. All of them are regrowing limbs from fissions before I bought them, so I'm hopeful they'll continue to propagate in my own system.
Yeah, some people believe that the "Asterinas" (technically Aquilonastras) the Linckias eat allow their stars to survive in their tanks - I've suggested people may want to try farming them to feed their Linckias as a result. They likely do also eat tunicates and sponges, as those tend to be bacterial sinks (so they'd basically replicate biofilm for the stars to feed on).

Genuinely glad to hear they're doing well for you - please keep us updated on how it goes, as most of the time I've heard these stars typically die off around ~8-13 months in our tanks (though I've heard of them making it to ~2-3 years if there are Aquilonastra stars in the tanks with them - they seem to basically wipe the Aquilonastra population out after/around that time).

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some people believe that the "Asterinas" (technically Aquilonastras) the Linckias eat allow their stars to survive in their tanks - I've suggested people may want to try farming them to feed their Linckias as a result. They likely do also eat tunicates and sponges, as those tend to be bacterial sinks (so they'd basically replicate biofilm for the stars to feed on).

Genuinely glad to hear they're doing well for you - please keep us updated on how it goes, as most of the time I've heard these stars typically die off around ~8-13 months in our tanks (though I've heard of them making it to ~2-3 years if there are Aquilonastra stars in the tanks with them - they seem to basically wipe the Aquilonastra population out after/around that time).
I've noticed a clear increase in size with my oldest one, but the two newest were only added yesterday so I'm not sure I'll see a difference any time soon. Hoping it'll keep them all healthy!
Luckily my aquilonastrea population is ginormous... I would be shocked if they cleared it out in 5 years haha.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing these starfish in the wild and how BIG they are... I'm not surprised that they do not survive long in the home aquarium. They must really require a LOT of food. I've found the same to be true of cucumbers and sand sifting stars. Even in my 300 gal (with sand) I was unable to keep them alive for very long, particularly the cucumbers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back