Extra set of eyes on my plan

ReefEsq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory
I was hoping a couple of people might be able to glance at my plans for a project I'm planning and give me some feedback/suggestions. Please see the drawing attached. I basically want to get some easier flow in my tank using maybe RFG nozzles and adding some return outlets, instead of getting more pumps. I really only plan on keeping softies/LPS, so the flow doesn't need to be intense anywhere, just hopefully have flow throughout without many dead spots. I'm redoing my stand and plumbing (made it in a hurry one weekend in the summer and I cut some corners that are annoying me now), so I thought I would get some additional plumbing parts and a new return pump.

One thing I want to mention is that I'm going to keep my return pump now in case of a failure with the new one. That's why I'm going to throw a ball valve right above the drilled return, so if I have the unfortunate situation unfold where my larger return pump fails, I can quickly swap it out for my smaller, older one and shut off the additional flow to reduce the load on it.

Plan
So I want to basically run PVC with some outlets at the edge of the glass on top of my tank to provide better flow. It'll be a little unsightly, and I know people usually do this when they have a canopy, but I prefer that look, keep the viewing obstructions above the tank, rather than have pumps on the glass. I plan on doing three additional outlets, so four total with the one drilled in the back. I'll use gate valves at each outlet (except the drilled one) to be able to control the flow, and lockline to point it in specific directions. I might even do RFG nozzles down the line.

Questions
The tank is an IM Nuvo EXT 50, with a TS Emerald 36, and my pump is rated for about 1,000 GPH. Will a 2,000 GPH pump be enough? I don't want to run the pump at full gas, but I recognize I'd be putting a heavy load on a single piece of equipment. I also thought about springing for another 1,000 GPH pump and just running separate plumbing to this. Should I be concerned with what my overflow can handle? It's a herbie method 1 inch. Return plumbing is 3/4 in, but I also thought about doing this flow project in 1/2 in. Thoughts on that?

I should also mention I'll have a manifold running as well. Planned it for four outlets. One to run my ATS, one to run a media reactor, one to run my UV sterilizer, and one shut for now but in case I decide to add anything in the future. So I'm trying to run a lot of things off this return plumbing.

Thanks for all your help. I know I asked a ton of questions, but I'd rather type this out and ask than run into an easily avoidable problem. Stay safe!

IMG_0127.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it does not look very good. :) Back years ago people use to build this kind of stuff below the water using a powerhead to supply the water. You could also use a grey PVC. Using another pump instead of the pump for the return from your sump would be better too.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back