Extreme turnover enjoyed by corals?

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've recently posted several threads regarding coral issues, particularly their failure to open due to flow concerns and other factors.

After some experimentation, I've managed to find a wavemaker position that allows my corals to open up. I adjusted the angle of my Nero 3, directing it towards the surface, and simultaneously lowered the gallons per hour (GPH) of my return flow. To address some death spots, I also increased the intensity of the Nero 3. Now, everything seems to be running smoothly. My GSP is thriving with the additional flow, and the zoas are responding positively. While my hammer coral is doing well, the torch coral hasn't fully opened yet.

In my efforts to understand the concept of total turnover better, I find myself a bit confused.

My tank currently hosts soft and LSP corals, and the general recommendation is 30X total turnover. Accordingly, I've reduced my return pump to 150 GPH (down from 185 GPH), following the idea that 10X turnover in the filter chambers works optimally.

This adjustment leaves me with 20X turnover to allocate. However, setting my Nero 3 to just 1% already exceeds that limit.

At present, my Nero 3 operates at approximately 1000 GPH, and my corals seem to thrive under these conditions. There are no death spots, and the water movement from both sides is substantial. However, this setup puts my total turnover at 76X.

Am I overlooking something, or is this approach too extreme? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6157.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg
IMG_6169.jpeg IMG_6170.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Nero 3 pump... but at 1% it moves 1000 GPH? That seems a bit extreme. How much does it move at 100%?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Nero 3 pump... but at 1% it moves 1000 GPH? That seems a bit extreme. How much does it move at 100%?
Max flow on the Nero 3 is 2000gpm. I seriously doubt it does 1000 @ 1%. I'm guessing a typo?
I have a Nero 5 and can barely tell it's on at 1%.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max flow on the Nero 3 is 2000gpm. I seriously doubt it does 1000 @ 1%. I'm guessing a typo?
All the information I’m writing here comes straight from the Mobius app. Also, I never said 1000 is 1%, I said I currently run it at 1000GPH. 1% is 550-600GPH.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some weird stuff with DC pumps, where the baseline is something like 30% max power. Some manufacturers have you adjust between a labeled “30” and “100” while others provide a 1-100 scale, where 1 is actually ~30% power.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back