Fauna Marin: Balling Light Carbonate-Mix less effective at end of canister?

friendlyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
I got myself a new Controller, the ProfiLux 4. Together with a KH-Director to get a better and more consistent Alkalinity readings for my tank. Between ordering it and actually receiving it: i did not perform any measurements. Lazy me... When I hooked the KH-Director up to my tank and did the first test... it was kind of a shock: KH went down from 8 to 6 dKH within 6 days of not testing. At first i thought the KH-Director is measuring crap but: I confirmed the Alkalinity with the Salifert KH Test and "kind of" got the same results: 6.5 dkh. close enough. (if i take the .5 error into account the alkalinity only dropped by 1.5 dKH)

I am dosing the FM Carbonate mix 6 times a day: in total 25ml of the Carbonate-Mix Solution every day.
The system has 350L / 91 Gallons.
So my idea was: raise the Alkalinity by 1 dKH by letting the dosing pump pump 98ml of the carbonate mix, which is what i did. (Those 98ml come from the aqua calculator)
Waited 20 Minutes after that, did another measurement: Now i am at 6.3 dKH.

My question is: is it possible that the carbonate mix got less potent over time? Its been sitting in the 5L canister for about 4 months. I am no expert but with some fantasy: I could imagine that some crystals were formed and sucked in with the tube sitting on the ground of the canister.
That would at least explain why the Alkalinity dropped in the first place and why i only got 0.3 dKH increase.

The dosing pump i am using for alkalinity is a cheap ati doser just recalibrated this morning.

Thanks for your time to read this!

Greetings to all of you

Back