Feed Mode Question

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty simple "duh," question but I just need someone to walk me through it.

When I am feeding my tank, I want to activate a feed cycle on my return pump so that it doesn't just suck all the food down the overflow. That much I think I can understand. But, I am running two gyre wavemakers on opposing sides of the aquarium — wouldn't I want to leave those running in order to move the food around the tank effectively? Maybe someone can help me understand this a bit better...

Thanks!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always left the powerheads on but the return pump off during feeding. The exception was when feeding the mandarin and target feeding some LPS with small particle foods, then I'd have all the powerheads off too.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always left the powerheads on but the return pump off during feeding. The exception was when feeding the mandarin and target feeding some LPS with small particle foods, then I'd have all the powerheads off too.

Gotcha and now that you mention it that does make sense so you're not fighting current with your target feeder. I think I am mostly thinking about daily fish feeding mysis or pellets etc.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha and now that you mention it that does make sense so you're not fighting current with your target feeder. I think I am mostly thinking about daily fish feeding mysis or pellets etc.
In that case I would leave the gyres on, movement with food gives the fish a chance to catch it. You could turn the power down if it's to much.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can program your apex to any one of the feed modes, turning off pump and/or pumps. I usually turn off return pump and turn down powerheads (not off) to circulate food in tank.

Screenshot 2019-11-09 09.34.11.png

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%

Back