Feeding Black Combtooth Blenny/Tribal Blenny

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I added a black comb tooth blenny to my 30G more than 3 weeks ago. I bought an algae based fish food from my LFS. This is the exact product. The blenny ignores the food so I stopped feeding him that product. I see that it munches on the algae growing on the rocks and other parts of tank all day long, so I know it isn't starving. However, I do need to feed him, but need some product suggestions. Anyone who has a black comb tooth blenny, could you please help me by linking the products that your blenny readily eats. I also would love to listen to your experience with this fish.
Love this fish, it is an interesting, almost comical one to watch in my tank. Attaching a picture for fun :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.57.30 AM.png

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had one but have had loads of different blennies, your tank appears to have what it needs which is natural algae, I would try ocean nutrition formula two flake.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NLS pellets should work. Also try frozen brine shrimp and mysid. They are algae eaters, but still end up eating a significant amount of small critters living in the algae so those two shrimps would supply them well for proteins.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish!!! I had one for 5 years. Ate New Life Spectrum Marine. He would even get the white tribal bands when he’s come up to the surface to tell me he was hungry!! Where did you find him?

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sde1500 It's funny actually, I thought the tribal blenny was a hard core herbivore and ignored the dried mysis I was feeding my other fish all these weeks, but yesterday I was shocked to see it started eating the mysis flakes voraciously. Even my clowns looked shocked :D

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish!!! I had one for 5 years. Ate New Life Spectrum Marine. He would even get the white tribal bands when he’s come up to the surface to tell me he was hungry!! Where did you find him?
That's amazing! How did you lose it? Which NLS Marine food were you feeding it? I am seeing many types.
I got this guy at LiveAquaria WYSIWYG. I think it's wild caught which I always avoided buying but gave in when I saw this blenny.

janway39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I added a black comb tooth blenny to my 30G more than 3 weeks ago. I bought an algae based fish food from my LFS. This is the exact product. The blenny ignores the food so I stopped feeding him that product. I see that it munches on the algae growing on the rocks and other parts of tank all day long, so I know it isn't starving. However, I do need to feed him, but need some product suggestions. Anyone who has a black comb tooth blenny, could you please help me by linking the products that your blenny readily eats. I also would love to listen to your experience with this fish.
Love this fish, it is an interesting, almost comical one to watch in my tank. Attaching a picture for fun :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.57.30 AM.png
That's amazing! How did you lose it? Which NLS Marine food were you feeding it? I am seeing many types.
I got this guy at LiveAquaria WYSIWYG. I think it's wild caught which I always avoided buying but gave in when I saw this blenny.

janway39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I’ve had about 6 months or so now. I love him! He’s got so much personality. However, I recently have noticed him nipping at my hammers. Not sure if he’s after algae on the skeleton/frag plugs or if he’s actually nipping the hammers. A couple of my hammers seem stressed though. Not sure if that’s why or if it’s something else. Phosphates are a tad high I’m working on getting those down now. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my guy. ❤️

Attachments

• 44A3CD56-708F-4B46-B0EC-364F717EAB48.jpeg
    44A3CD56-708F-4B46-B0EC-364F717EAB48.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 57
  • A6E422D4-E66B-4E98-B447-61DE7E843266.jpeg
    A6E422D4-E66B-4E98-B447-61DE7E843266.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 57

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back