Feeding coral, and keeping fish/inverts out

cubbyman60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of the day:
How do you feed your coral without your fish/inverts stealing to food? Love to see or hear any ideas.

Thanks.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 39 BRStv covers a few good ideas if you have meaty eater or particle feeders and how to keep the other tank inhabitants from stealing it away frow them. I use Reefroids. After seeing that video. I guess I got lucky with my food of choice for the corals because a lot can actually have negative impact. Reefchili seems to be 2nd best.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mysis shrimp to all my LPS and I too feel your pain. I generally feed my coral with a long pair of tweezers (after I broadcast feed my fish).

My acans and euphyllia can fend off any onlookers but I need to watch my blasto, chalice, scoly, and lobo a bit more closely. I usually will keep my tweezers in the tank and nudge away my cleaner shrimp and small hermits always seem to encroach on my helpless blastos [emoji23] the whole process usually takes >5 mins and, IMO, its actually pretty fun... if the shrimp gets really feisty I usually hand him a fat price of krill and that shuts him up long enough for my corals to eat.

My hermits tend to be the real threat, as I'm always getting distracted by something else in my tank and all of a sudden there's shells stealing mysis from all the coral sitting on my sand bed[emoji23]

bluerexy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people take an empty plastic bottle, cut the bottom of it off and place it over the coral. Then you can stick a turkey baster down then opening and let the coral eat while the fish and inverts can't get in.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back