Filter roller letting food escape, is it normal?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i am building my roller mat inspired by the klir di4. When i send down some food (for test purpose) some of it escapes. i guess it slide between the fleecel and the basket. If you ever watched your filter roll, does your filter roll block absolutely everything (as a sock do) or it let slide something?

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water pressure should push the fleece up against the walls to prevent food from escaping.

are you making a motorized version?

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water pressure should push the fleece up against the walls to prevent food from escaping.

are you making a motorized version?
yes. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/b-eT_yn5etY .... but is still in test. I am waiting on a smaller sk-30 motor and redo- it with motor enclosed and more clean. But would like to fix also this flaw of some stuff sliding thru.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, i just started working on a design to, ill check out the sk-30 motor.
1688593218137.png

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, thank you. do you have a controller for It or are you using something like an apex?
V2 in test today... if all good i'll upload the files and send link. And i think to have found the flaw....basically i've cut my roll too thin, it was missing half centimeter in width and was enough to let stuff escape. I've recut it at perfect size and nothing go thru anymore. BTW S30K motor have plenty of power already.

1688668236986.png

Keen to know why a float switch rather than an optical sensor?

I've got a Klir di-4 and was thinking of adding a second DIY one.

I'm pretty sure mine catches like....95% of anything that goes down the overflow
Yeah i found and corrected the flaw now nothing goes thru. I've used a float for 3 reason. 1 i think it less prone to fail or problem if basically maintained (i have them in my 3 diy ATO and never had a problem), 2 they are cheap and readily available. 3 i already had it in the house :D

If i had money to throw at it i would probably have bought the klir...but with this i've thrown like 15€ and i will be plenty happy of it if it let me get away from socks.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V2 in test today... if all good i'll upload the files and send link. And i think to have found the flaw....basically i've cut my roll too thin, it was missing half centimeter in width and was enough to let stuff escape. I've recut it at perfect size and nothing go thru anymore. BTW S30K motor have plenty of power already.

1688668236986.png

Yeah i found and corrected the flaw now nothing goes thru. I've used a float for 3 reason. 1 i think it less prone to fail or problem if basically maintained (i have them in my 3 diy ATO and never had a problem), 2 they are cheap and readily available. 3 i already had it in the house :D

If i had money to throw at it i would probably have bought the klir...but with this i've thrown like 15€ and i will be plenty happy of it if it let me get away from socks.
awesome, im interested to see how you've sealed the motor. I have a couple of similar motors coming in a couple of days. are you winding your own fleece?

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, im interested to see how you've sealed the motor. I have a couple of similar motors coming in a couple of days. are you winding your own fleece?
the motor is super tight fit in the case, the wire hole has been siliconed, front motor is alreayd encased in plastic by manufacturer, only open to problem part is sprocket (pinion) and i have liquid taped it. For the fleece i've made a hexagonal hole in one of the rolls in order to user a electric screwdriver to roll it on the spool.

1688671342620.png

The spool is a redsea reefmat 500 rolls that i've cut to size with a kitchen knife and a 3d printed template and then rolled with the electric screwdriver. It takes few second.

1688671458145.png

Isn't the best one but is surely the cheapest one, even if i have to replace a motor every few months, it's like 2/4€ to do it.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the motor is super tight fit in the case, the wire hole has been siliconed, front motor is alreayd encased in plastic by manufacturer, only open to problem part is sprocket (pinion) and i have liquid taped it. For the fleece i've made a hexagonal hole in one of the rolls in order to user a electric screwdriver to roll it on the spool.

1688671342620.png

The spool is a redsea reefmat 500 rolls that i've cut to size with a kitchen knife and a 3d printed template and then rolled with the electric screwdriver. It takes few second.

1688671458145.png

Isn't the best one but is surely the cheapest one, even if i have to replace a motor every few months, it's like 2/4€ to do it.
That's good to know. I got some of Klir fleece to cut down but ill have to checkout the reefmat fleece. Im planning to use my lathe with an exacto knife to cut the fleece.

I still need to work out some of the details on mine, but it's getting closer. Note, mine is for my AIO so it's pretty small

1688682359439.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back