Fin rot or bacterial infection on captive bred juv. Imperator

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a captive bred juvenile Imperator that I've had for about 3 weeks. He's probably a little over 1.5 inches. He's in a 20 gallon isolation tank with no other fish. He's been doing well eating mostly pellets. The other day I noticed the tank water was a little cloudy and I did about a 50% water change. The cloudiness has since cleared up. Today I noticed that his tail is frayed at the edges and his breathing is labored. I've added another airstone to the tank. What should I be treating him with. I'd really hate to lose this fish.
Regards,
Mike W.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was he quarantined? Do the other fish have symptoms? If you could send a picture in white light - and a video via YouTube that would be helpful. Do you think you were overfeeding - causing the cloudiness? How old is your tank? Lastly - what antibiotics/treatment can you get or do you have?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What other fish in the tank - often 'frayed fins' are due to aggression.

OP
OP
mwilk19

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he quarantined? Do the other fish have symptoms? If you could send a picture in white light - and a video via YouTube that would be helpful. Do you think you were overfeeding - causing the cloudiness? How old is your tank? Lastly - what antibiotics/treatment can you get or do you have?
He's been in this isolation tank since I got him. He has not been exposed to any other fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the first thing is to make sure your ammonia is ok -Have you been checking ammonia? Sometimes ammonia can cause temporary fin damage. since there was an issue with the cloudy water. It's impossible to say definitively without a picture since it could have a bacterial infection causing the fraying, Though 'captive bred' fish theoretically should not have disease - but thats not always true, so I would start the usual copper/Prazipro quarantine protocol, Increase Aeration in the tank during treatment is essential.

Can you post a picture

Last edited:

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your biological filtration in this isolation tank?

When I've had fish in isolation tanks, especially captive bred angels, I would siphon up uneaten food/ waste no more than every other day, preferable daily.

OP
OP
mwilk19

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bioballs in a bag that were in my display tank for about 6 weeks before I set up the tank. I also have an Aquaclear power filter with a sponge. I also syphoned the bottom of the tank every day. He was fine yesterday. This morning he was hiding in a pvc elbow which he’s never done before.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But you don't have a seachem alert or ammonia test results?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the angel directly from the breeder, or was it tanked with wild caught fish at the LFS? If the latter, it could have picked up any number of disease issues. That said, this sure does sound like a water quality issue. Does the tank have good aeration?

Posting a video will help....

Jay

OP
OP
mwilk19

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish came directly from Biota. Unfortunately he didn’t survive. This was a hard one to take. Captive bred Imperators have been my bucket list fish. I can’t remember the last time I lost a fish. It was the same system I've used for all of the other captive bred fish in my tanks.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish came directly from Biota. Unfortunately he didn’t survive. This was a hard one to take. Captive bred Imperators have been my bucket list fish. I can’t remember the last time I lost a fish. It was the same system I've used for all of the other captive bred fish in my tanks.

Sorry to hear. Something hit that fish hard and fast. I still can't say if it was a disease (like velvet) or some water quality issue. The cloudy water could have been a bacterial bloom.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back