Fin rot or fin nipping

jmello8402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In need help identifying what is going on with my Magnificent Foxface… 75 gal tank the only simi aggressive fish in the tank are a neon dottyback, anthesis and a six line wrasse all much smaller than him. Water parameters are are within range, salinity slightly low. This is a fish only system. If it is fin rot what is the suggested course of action? Thank you all for your help

8F182983-211D-48E1-A596-8724E038D5A7.jpeg 1960309D-79F2-4410-9EA5-38582986942E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In need help identifying what is going on with my Magnificent Foxface… 75 gal tank the only simi aggressive fish in the tank are a neon dottyback, anthesis and a six line wrasse all much smaller than him. Water parameters are are within range, salinity slightly low. This is a fish only system. If it is fin rot what is the suggested course of action? Thank you all for your help

8F182983-211D-48E1-A596-8724E038D5A7.jpeg 1960309D-79F2-4410-9EA5-38582986942E.jpeg
Clear sign of aggression and not rot.
What fish do you have in tank with your magnificent?
(Suspects for me would be clowns, six line wrasse and damsels)

OP
OP
J

jmello8402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear sign of aggression and not rot.
What fish do you have in tank with your magnificent?
(Suspects for me would be clowns, six line wrasse and damsels

Thank you for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear it’s not rot. I do have one clown but she keeps to herself. The neon dottyback is always chasing the other fish around and is a bully in the tank. However they have been living together for a couple years with no issues.The newest addition is the anthesis about 2 months ago. Are they known to be fin nippers?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear it’s not rot. I do have one clown but she keeps to herself. The neon dottyback is always chasing the other fish around and is a bully in the tank. However they have been living together for a couple years with no issues.The newest addition is the anthesis about 2 months ago. Are they known to be fin nippers?
Yes- dottyback Prime suspect

OP
OP
J

jmello8402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that you assured me it’s not fin rot, I’m going to rearrange my rock work see if that does anything. If not that dottyback has been harassing his tank mates for years it may be time for him to go back to the fish store.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that you assured me it’s not fin rot, I’m going to rearrange my rock work see if that does anything. If not that dottyback has been harassing his tank mates for years it may be time for him to go back to the fish store.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This does look like an injury from another fish, but it is really severe and unexpected given the fish you gave in that tank. Sometimes, minor damage can become worse with bacterial infection. You really need to figure out who the culprit is and separate them. Sometimes, filming the tank when you leave the room can point to who is going this.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jmello8402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This does look like an injury from another fish, but it is really severe and unexpected given the fish you gave in that tank. Sometimes, minor damage can become worse with bacterial infection. You really need to figure out who the culprit is and separate them. Sometimes, filming the tank when you leave the room can point to who is going this.
Jay
Thank you, I do have a live feed camera on the tank but it doesn’t save the video… I’ll have to watch it live and see if I can pinpoint what’s going on.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you, I do have a live feed camera on the tank but it doesn’t save the video… I’ll have to watch it live and see if I can pinpoint what’s going on.
in this case. set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not see an actual “hit”, watch for displacement or rushes, even if contact isn’t made, if you see one fish make a move towards it, that’s probably the culprit.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jmello8402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, that will be my mission for tomorrows feeding. I’ll keep you posted… I’m glad I posted here first and not start treating with antibiotics for fin rot

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back