First ATI ICP Test Results - Need Help Interpreting Some Numbers

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first ATI results back and I'm hesitant to dose anything unless I really need it. I'm aware of my phosphate problem and I'm using RowaPhos and am scaling back on coral feeding. I wish I checked phosphates with my Hannah checker on the day I collected my sample. I got a reading of .36 the day after I collected the ATI sample.

Should I be doing any dosing or be concerned with anything in the results? The iodine number jumps out at me because I know a lot of people who keep zoas dose it. I also have a cleaner shrimp so I want to make sure it has the iodine available for its health.
ICP 1.JPG

ICP 2.JPG

ICP Recommendations.JPG

My RO results show high silicon. I had an issue with diatoms during my ugly phase but I'm not seeing any major issues now. The RowaPhos removes silicon as well so maybe I'm masking a major issue here? Thoughts?
ICP RO Test.JPG

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnesium and potassium are slightly low. Could bump both of those slightly. I only say bump the magnesium so you have a little more buffer there. Nothing wrong with your number it just can get away in time and go low before you know it.

Silica in your RO means you likely need another DI resin stage. I really prefer the triple DI setup from BRS. I deal with high silica in my tap water as well.

Dosing iodine daily is the best way to keep it up. It depletes quickly. I dose Seachem Reef Iodide. About 6-8 drops daily in my 250g system to keep mine bottoming out.

Looks great though

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium and potassium are slightly low. Could bump both of those slightly. I only say bump the magnesium so you have a little more buffer there. Nothing wrong with your number it just can get away in time and go low before you know it.

Silica in your RO means you likely need another DI resin stage. I really prefer the triple DI setup from BRS. I deal with high silica in my tap water as well.

Dosing iodine daily is the best way to keep it up. It depletes quickly. I dose Seachem Reef Iodide. About 6-8 drops daily in my 250g system to keep mine bottoming out.

Looks great though
Thank you—I really appreciate it!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak to a lot of these, but as for the iodine, the ICP plasmas all of the elements and then lumps them together. You have no idea which form of iodine was in your tank. You could have plenty of the right kind and none of the wrong kinds... or vice versa. If your eyes tell you that the polyps look OK, then don't worry about it. If you really want to worry about it, get a test kit that tests for iodide and then dose iodide. I have no idea if these test kit even exist since I have not tested nor dose iodide in way too long.

If you believe that elevated aluminum is an issue, then that needs to be sorted. Some say that it is no issue while others disagree.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak to a lot of these, but as for the iodine, the ICP plasmas all of the elements and then lumps them together. You have no idea which form of iodine was in your tank. You could have plenty of the right kind and none of the wrong kinds... or vice versa. If your eyes tell you that the polyps look OK, then don't worry about it. If you really want to worry about it, get a test kit that tests for iodide and then dose iodide. I have no idea if these test kit even exist since I have not tested nor dose iodide in way too long.

If you believe that elevated aluminum is an issue, then that needs to be sorted. Some say that it is no issue while others disagree.
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back