First Clam!! What to know? What to do?

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a clam!! I love the blue/turquoise colourations.

My tank is a 32g cube with sump. So I’m looking small (for now).

Im looking for advise on all aspects; type of clam, needs, maintenance, position, preferable parameters, etc.

Please help me

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, besides research on the acclimation process (easy) , you need to know how much Light you have. You need about 130 par for lower light clams. 170 200 for higher light clams.

What type of clam are you drooling over ? Got pics so we can drool too?

TheSchwenkster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a maxima or crocea for size limit
Need super intense light
Standard maintenance and stability of the system will be key. They consume a fair bit of elements so dosing will likely be required
Fully lit position and likely on rocks if maxima and crocea. Probably looking at 300+ par for either

Details on system, lights and pictures can help with more tailored recommendations

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love something that could get like this;
d2c31a5bd785e1c77d30516ef9e711a6.jpg

cd1e4278e32742836d13c2e8a7b5d30e.jpg

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clams in my lFS are about 1.5”-2” in length. So you can see colouration but not like those. I wasn’t sure if they got better with size and time?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep this in mind as well if you have very powerful lighting. Copy/paste from Diver's Den. I am pretty sure that I have blasted them with too much light and the center mantle becomes clear.

"The smaller ORA Maxima clams are much more sensitive to very intense lighting as their membrane is much thinner than larger specimens. For this reason, care should be taken to properly photo-adapt them to the existing reef aquarium lighting in a similar manner to newly introduced stony and soft corals. When adapting a new Maxima Clam to very intense lighting, it is ideal to set them on a small rock or in a plastic dish with coarse substrate at the bottom of the aquarium. Over time, the clam can then be slowly moved up higher in the aquarium."

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a PAR meter how can you really tell if lights are enough? I have a radion xr15 above 16” of water and it’s 8” above the surface

TheSchwenkster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is the right direction as far as lighting. Par charts that others have put together at least suggest it is possible.

You are right, it is simply guessing if you do not get a meter and test. Might be worth the price of admission to get involved with a local club for a year to borrow or rent their meter. If you are looking at the local fish store, they might have one that you could borrow.

If you have all the other parameters in check and the tank is mature, I think your tank is at least capable of sustaining a clam. Be prepared for an up tick in the dosing schedule and to have the xr15 pro cranked up to 11!

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that’s all good news! What type of clam would you suggest?

TheSchwenkster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is more up to preference and plan for future if the clam grows to full potential. If willing to upgrade, deresa are good options. If not looking at a bigger tank in a few years, a crocea or maxima are probably more in line with your tank size. Color and pattern are up to you!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at them too. following

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about tank parameters? Are they happy with standard? are they KH or Calcium ******?

This is great, thanks for all the input!!

TheSchwenkster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty standard on the parameters. Keeping stability is key. IME, they like a bit of nitrates in the water but don't go nuts. Cal and alk will be drained, more so as they grow. Not unmanageable but a doser will help keep sanity and stability.

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they need a specific care? What about feeding? I currently feed reef roids for my LPS

OP
OP
O

Oly@UK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been working to much recently. Any other tips and tricks to them?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been working to much recently. Any other tips and tricks to them?

The less you mess with it, the quicker you will start to see good results, assuming that you follow all of the advice above. The best growth for my clams come when they've been sitting for some weeks undisturbed by me and undisturbed by stressors like fish, inverts and swinging water params.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back