First coral hitchhiker I’d

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my first two corals today! A utter chaos Zoa and a favia. Performed a freshwater dip and actually had a good amount of critters come off
IMG_5048.jpeg
them. One was too small to really photograph but this one was living in something resembling a tiny Vermitid snail and didn’t come out until I shook the coral around in the freshwater. The others looked similar to this just mutch smaller. Any help??

IMG_5046.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very true, anyway to save a good hitchhiker after you find it in a dip?
I don't want to harp on the previous thread, but one big one is not thermonuclear dipping in freshwater for 5 minutes. I'm a visual inspection person over a dip person. I dipped corals a long time ago, but dipping is a pretty contentious topic in reef aquaria. I personally run pest eaters and know what to look for with hitchhiker nems and bubble algae(dips don't even really do much for algae outside peroxide). In general the people you see most diligent about dipping are people trying to avoid species specific pests like zoanthid eating nudibranchs, zoanthid spiders, montipora eating nudibranchs, acropora eating flatworms, red bugs, euphylia eating flatworms, and black bugs. Also looking to avoid certain pest flatworms like red planaria. Others dip to remove things like amphipods, bristleworms, and asterina stars which could arguably be considered good but the reefer doesnt like. For a single headed zoa on a clean frag and a tiny acan colony I wouldnt worry a whole lot.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to harp on the previous thread, but one big one is not thermonuclear dipping in freshwater for 5 minutes. I'm a visual inspection person over a dip person. I dipped corals a long time ago, but dipping is a pretty contentious topic in reef aquaria. I personally run pest eaters and know what to look for with hitchhiker nems and bubble algae(dips don't even really do much for algae outside peroxide). In general the people you see most diligent about dipping are people trying to avoid species specific pests like zoanthid eating nudibranchs, zoanthid spiders, montipora eating nudibranchs, acropora eating flatworms, red bugs, euphylia eating flatworms, and black bugs. Also looking to avoid certain pest flatworms like red planaria. Others dip to remove things like amphipods, bristleworms, and asterina stars which could arguably be considered good but the reefer doesnt like. For a single headed zoa on a clean frag and a tiny acan colony I wouldnt worry a whole lot.
Yeah I thought I did some on the fly research and had a useable although maybe not recommended solution to not having any dip, mistake made and lesson learned. Hopefully both frags will survive and come around in a couple days, im confident. And like you hopefully after a few more coral purchases I can learn what to look for as well and not be so reliant on a dip.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought I did some on the fly research and had a useable although maybe not recommended solution to not having any dip, mistake made and lesson learned. Hopefully both frags will survive and come around in a couple days, im confident. And like you hopefully after a few more coral purchases I can learn what to look for as well and not be so reliant on a dip.
Reefing is all about learning! That's the right mentality.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bought my first two corals today! A utter chaos Zoa and a favia. Performed a freshwater dip and actually had a good amount of critters come off
IMG_5048.jpeg
them. One was too small to really photograph but this one was living in something resembling a tiny Vermitid snail and didn’t come out until I shook the coral around in the freshwater. The others looked similar to this just mutch smaller. Any help??

IMG_5046.jpeg
May be either an amphipod or a baby spaghetti worm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back