First Foray into Reefkeeping

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The stand is metal framed, with MDF making the cabinet area. The edges of it were cut, shellac, then painted black with acrylic. I think the last pic looks that way due to a combination of flash and it being 1-2 coats from completely covered.

I've been made well aware we're expected to get a 'Nemo fish' - and it'll probably be the first addition honestly. I'm on pretty much the same page with clown and bta I think. Do clowns typically do better in pairs?

Plans for the rest of the weekend are plumbing and maybe sorting out hellos and pump controller placement if I get froggy.
Lol, "expected to get Nemo".

I only mentioned a pair because watching the interaction of a mated clown pair that has been hosted by an anemone is one of my favorite things about this hobby. 1 or 2 is really your preference. My understanding is it gets difficult to keep more then 2 though it can be done.

Sounds like you have the cut edges sealed well.

Plumbing can be a challenge, best of luck!

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress so far today: Return down to the ball valve assembled and installed, along with the overflow box.
1000005507.jpg

1000005516.jpg

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some preliminary wire management done yesterday. Next week or so is gonna be slow as we're going on vacation and getting everything in order to do so.

pierrelowey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like all the DIY on this build so its custom to your space, nice work! just one question how do you access the sump once its fully plumped in and full of water? to change socks or clean equipment? the gap looks quite small between the top of the sump tank and the shelf above.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like all the DIY on this build so its custom to your space, nice work! just one question how do you access the sump once its fully plumped in and full of water? to change socks or clean equipment? the gap looks quite small between the top of the sump tank and the shelf above.

If you look at post #18 I cut an access area in the shelf above the sump. It gives height so I don't have an issue fitting a protein skimmer, but it also allows me enough access that I can touch the bottom of anywhere in the sump. You are right though, gap between the top of the sump and the shelf above is about 2.5".

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean plumbing, nice work!

If I’m you I’m going 150 or more GPD.
I have a 75 GPD 5 stage, made about 8-9 gallons in 2.5-3 hours yesterday.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean plumbing, nice work!

If I’m you I’m going 150 or more GPD.
I have a 75 GPD 5 stage, made about 8-9 gallons in 2.5-3 hours yesterday.
It's more been a round about of stages honestly. I know there's chloramines used in our water supply which leans me towards at least 5, but the only help I've gotten local is an LFS that seems more interested in selling me a max-stage bells and whistles system than answering my questions. Hoping to not go so far as ICP testing my tap water, but spending $ on extra stages that are just acting as redundancy isn't something I'm currently keen on.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do 5 for the carbon redundancy and because I live in a home that has OLD plumbing in the country. I feel if you do a really good flush each time you won’t need a lot of stages. Mine starts in the hundreds and by the time I close the flush valve it’s down to 3-4 IN, 0-1 OUT. My water is extremely hard here as well.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do 5 for the carbon redundancy and because I live in a home that has OLD plumbing in the country. I feel if you do a really good flush each time you won’t need a lot of stages. Mine starts in the hundreds and by the time I close the flush valve it’s down to 3-4 IN, 0-1 OUT. My water is extremely hard here as well.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards 5 - mostly because I know there's chloramines and I can bump to 100 gpd and still be under a 75gpd 6 stage system. Worst case I end up adding a stage down the line. I don't feel like I really *need* anything higher than 75gpd, as one of my primary goals is minimal maintenance (and water changes), so after initial fill it's just top off I hope to deal with long term. Our plumbing is fairly new (mid 1990's), but we're on the fringes of a large public water system.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back