First Saltwater Tank

abstraction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I recently purchased a used Oceanic 76 gallon half round tank. It previously was a fish only tank. I have never had a salt water tank but as a kid and young adult had many tanks, esp. African Cichlids. In starting to research how to go about it, I am starting to think that the 76 is too small for a fish onlytank, although might work well as a reef tank perhaps with only a pair of clownfish. And having had tanks in the past I know this can get to, will get to, be an expensive hobby. So, should I scrap the 76 and aim for something larger out of the gate or learn to cut my teeth on the 76. I know that Oceanic made a 144 which is only a foot longer - a little worried about the weight but I can deal with that if I have too. I know we all go through this but I didn't realize that a 75 which is large for freshwater, will actually limit me in what I can reasonably expect to house. Should I resell the 76 and find a 144 ? I'd rather spend my money once. If I keep the 76 should I plan on a reef tank ? So, any and all comments appreciated.

Thanks

Devin (aka abstraction)

tonizzy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size limits you on the type and number of fish you have. Your house limits you on how big of a tank you can have. At the end of the day everyone wished they went bigger.

Is there a specific fish or number of fish that you are looking to have? Whats the biggest tank you can fit in your house? Will the house hold its weight?

OP
OP
A

abstraction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house can hold either the 76 or the 144. I am a little worried about the weight of the 144 fully loaded but I can beef up the framing if needed. In my initial reading a conservative approach seemed to be 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons of tank, especially in the smaller tanks. That leaves me 15 inches of fish. So a pair of clowns, a Kole Tang, a maybe a smaller trigger would be close to max. I also think that larger fish don't present as well in a smaller tank. So, with a 144 I would be able to have about 30 inches of fish and if some were territorial it may be large enough to support two terrorities - ie, maybe I could try 2 tangs in the 144. The other aspect is definitely financial - in terms of live sand and rock if I go down the path for reef. So, as I am a newbie just looking for guidance and folks' input given their experiences.

Thanks

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really up to how much money you want to spend.

You could fit a lot more than two clowns in the 76, (clowns, gobies, dwarf angles, a wrasse, cardinals, chromis, etc etc) but I agree, it might be too small for a fish only tank.

Getting the 144 means hundreds of $$ in sand, rock, and water, but if you're willing to spend the money (and keep up with it) i agree with the above statement, everyone wants to go bigger (except me and my 8 gallon lol) BUT you could have a lot more fish, and some tangs.

And, you can do either of them reef tanks.

As long as you plan to have a good skimmer, enough LR, and keep up on the husbandry of the tank, you can get some awesome fish for each of the tanks listed.

OP
OP
A

abstraction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - abstraction here. And that is my thoughts - in that the 76 would make an excellent reef tank. Challenge is that as I am beginner more comfortable starting with FO or FOWLR. And I do not think that the 76 as a reef would really support the fish I find myself liking - the tangs, etc. vs some of the smaller fish that would look better.

I probably sound conflicted - part of it is that I have done enough tanks,albeit freshwater/cichlid in the past to know that it will be a money sink and I am trying to get it right out of the gate.

I suspect the ideal setup is the 76 as a reef and the 144 has a FOWLR....

OP
OP
A

abstraction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rosie. I am a little conflicted because I do like the larger fish, like the Tangs which in my initial reading, seem to be too big for the 76 (that a generalization). I guess there is lies the rub. As I mentioned in another reply, I almost think the 76 would make an ideal reef for a pair of clownfish to mate and the 144 would make an ideal FO tank. I barely have enough money for one though :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 111 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back