First Tank 220g Peninsula Build

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this all began back in January but I will get started with the background and then try to get up to speed over the next few posts.

This is my first time diving into an aquarium of any kind, let alone a reef tank, so needless to say it has been both extremely intimidating and exciting. After doing way too many hours of reading and watching and creeping around on this forum, I finally decided to place an order for one of the new ProStar ProClear Rimless tanks that were supposed to roll out at the beginning of the year. After several delays from China when the virus initially broke out over there, the first shipment of tanks finally came in and none of the peninsula tank orders had been fulfilled. There was initially no indication when they would come in or if they would even come in at all which was a huge blow to the initial excitement and anticipation, and I had already run a new 20amp outlet, ripped out the carpet and l put in waterproof vinyl flooring (can be seen in later photos), built the mixing station and installed the RO/DI system, and reinforced the floor joists.

IMG_20200213_191146.jpg

IMG_20200215_092108.jpg

So to keep the momentum going, I decided I was going to go even bigger and get everything custom made. This put me in contact with Pat at Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums. He responded to my original inquiry within minutes and after a day or two of back and forth and discussing all of the options it was decided that I would go with a 62" x 31.5" x 28" euro braced peninsula with an external scupper box as he called it. He sent updates throughout the process and even as the virus escalated and everything was shutting down, he still managed to meet his original guaranteed 10 week deadline. I cannot recommend Pat and Coast to Coast enough as the tank itself is absolutely gorgeous and his service and communication were top notch.

image0.jpeg

Once the tank size was determined, I started figuring out the stand and the sump. Originally I was going to have a coworker help to weld a steel stand, but I was barely going to be able to get the tank in the house and did not see how I was going to get the stand in. I had seen a few examples here and there of stands using aluminum extrusions. I reached out to Rankin Automation and they quickly turned around rendering which was exactly what I was looking for. But this too turned into an adventure as the first shipment came quicker than expected, but they made the whole thing from clear silver instead of the black anodized. They were extremely accommodating and re-placed the order immediately with no questions asked. This, however, took much longer than expected with the quarantine in full swing, and I was counting down the days hoping it would arrive before I had to pick the tank up. Luckily it did arrive in time and was actually a breeze to assemble. Here it is with some of the panels and the battery backups already mounted.

IMG_20200509_215032.jpg

Overall, process working with Rankin was extremely smooth and the customer service was exceptional so I would highly recommend using them as well.

For the sump, I went back and forth several times between getting something custom made or just going with one of the generic pre made sumps. I wanted a larger refugium than anything I found that would fit under the setup, so ultimately I went with a 2 tank sump and separate ATO reservoir from Modular Marine. The response time was fantastic and there was constant communication throughout the process for updates, modifications, and working out the details. Also got photos of this progression along the way as well.

20200415_175924.jpg

So now I can happily sit here and say that the initial setback in the first tank wound up turning into a much more fun and rewarding (albeit more expensive) process and without a doubt have a setup that I am much happier with. All of the vendors I mentioned above were all exceptional to work with and would highly recommend to anyone.

That is all I have time for now but will try to get another update in later tonight. Everything is currently setup and running with some fish and a few corals so there is still plenty before I get all caught up.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is going to be exciting, just going to the microwave for some popcorn.... :D

Love the pics so far.

OP
OP
FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never really considered the design options for a stand until I started browsing this site, and I started to see a lot of stands that provide a ledge all the way around the tank. I thought this was aesthetically more pleasing and also very practical, so I incorporated that into the 3/4" plywood and 1/2" homasote layers for the tank to sit on. I had never heard of homasote before but that is what was recommended by Pat at CTC. The girlfriend let me take over the island for this part.

IMG_20200409_133957.jpg

And the stand, sump, and tank base completed and in place. You can see the new floor better in this photo too.

IMG_20200507_204941.jpg

Along with the initial tank order that fell through came the 200 lbs of Reef Cleaners dry rock. These were endlessly fun to play with on the dining room table mat cover.

IMG_20200213_125803.jpg

Initially the plan was to cycle everything in the tank for a few months, but when the first tank never came these all got thrown into two brutes in the garage, with Dr Tim's One and Only added to both and fed with Dr Tim's ammonium chloride. Both cans wound up being able to cycle down 2ppm ammonia after about 3 weeks, so we just kept feeding with pure ammonia every 2-3 days and even did a few water changes because the nitrates got so high and everything seemed to work as claimed. It was good practice making and changing water too.

IMG_20200616_102023.jpg

The lazy spectator.

OP
OP
FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part of this whole build was sitting through quarantine thinking how nice it would have been to have the tank already. So when the call came that the tank was ready for pickup, we were ready to go. It took 5 large guys and a couple of skipped heartbeats to get the thing through the hallway, over the island and onto the stand. But kudos to them for pushing through a hot rainy day with facemasks on.

So the tanks is in place is in place and I am ready to plumb. Using my limited experience plumbing the mixing station, I spent 2 long nights sorting through how to ultimately get it done. We had planned on having the wall side plumbing exposed so the pressure was on, and the girlfriend decided on orange pipe and black and gray fittings. I had the basic idea sketched out a hundred different ways but none of them quite fit the way I had hoped. After much trial and error and measuring things repeatedly until my head spun, got everything successfully in place with only a few minor mistakes.

IMG_20200523_181117.jpg

MVIMG_20200523_185611.jpg

So I had ordered some sand in the very beginning, but not long after that it was decided we were going with a deep sand in the DT and also a remote DSB in the refugium. So about a week before the tank was ready I ordered the rest. This came out to be 520lbs sand, 160lbs of it for the refugium by itself. For the DT, we used a 4:1 ratio of Tropic Eden Miniiflakes and Meso-flakes. In the refugium it was a 1:1 of Tonga Pink and Aragasnow. Heeding all of the advice I had read about rinsing sand, I grabbed a lounge chair and a hose and on a nice sunny day proceeded to turn the driveway into a beach. So after filling the tank 1/3 full, got the rocks in as quickly as possible from the trash cans and then painstakingly added the sand in.

So plumbing done, aquascape done, sand done, tank is full and holding water

IMG_20200527_134543.jpg

MVIMG_20200527_222158.jpg

IMG_20200602_162003.jpg

I think the last thing left on the setup side of things is the hardware. I played around with the idea of starting with a controller from the get go, but it was hard to wrap my head around how much I would really need it. And although I'm sure this may change to some extent in the future, the hands on maintenance and upkeep and observation seemed more appealing to me.

So going with the peninsula style tank, I had read nothing but problems about achieving enough flow without ultimately having to place powerheads on the exposed end. With that in mind and just the appeal of keeping cords out of the tank, the vortechs seemed the way to go. Obviously I was going to attempt to find a solution without doing this, so I started with 2 mp40s. And sticking with Eco Tech I went with 2 vectra M2s for the dual returns, and the Radion freshwater light for the refugium. For the returns, I planned for one pump feeding the refugium and one return and the other pump feeding the other return. I did balk at buying the new radions for the DT, as I just was not sure the money was worth the return at this point. I opted instead for the Reef Breeders Photon 50-V2. Loved the look of it and may wind up being sufficient for the long haul, but lights seemed like the easiest upgrade to make in the future.

I will get to how all of this has worked so far next chance I get! IMG_20200523_134817.jpg IMG_20200523_181119.jpg IMG_20200523_185556.jpg

OP
OP
FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I failed to keep this thread as up to date as I had originally planned I have way too much to talk about, so I'll just do some photos and captions and let it roll from there...

First fishes: Magnificent foxface and orange spotted rabbitfish. They were supposed to be closer in size when they arrived but it was not the case. The foxface gives the rabbitfish some grief every now and then but it has since subsided now that Rabbit is almost as big and even from the beginning they have been inseparable:

IMG_20200603_174328.jpg

Second Fishes: 2 Red Sea Two Banded Clownfish. Transplants from the 32 Biocube and are loving life in the open water even though they never leave the front of the tank.

IMG_20200606_202055.jpg

And here you can see the bacterial bloom that plagued me for about 2 weeks before I decided to try and put an unplanned UV into the plumbing somewhere in here:

IMG_20200624_114732.jpg

You can see how bad it got in the corner of this photo also. I don't have an after photo for some reason and will add one next chance I get, but I added a 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet Twist right into one of the return lines and cleared the whole tank in about 72 hours.

Third Fishes with bacterial bloom: Haven't seen them since until about a week ago when I was floating some coral bags and one randomly swam to hang out with the bags

IMG_20200624_115215.jpg

Bacterial bloom gone:

IMG_20200705_162221.jpg

OP
OP
FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I forgot to include this earlier...mandatory photo of me in the tank:

media-1598310627820-Aug_24_2020_6_59_PM.jpg

And FTS from both sides after the bloom cleared:
IMG_20200707_201459.jpg
IMG_20200707_201516.jpg

There were a few losses in the beginning...had two of three banggai cardinals perish after about 3 weeks of doing well. They were eating fine and seemed to be thriving and then about a week apart just went downhill overnight. The third is still going strong and hangs with the rest of the tank:

MVIMG_20200809_094259.jpg

MVIMG_20200809_094259.jpg
MVIMG_20200823_132010.jpg
IMG_20200823_131708.jpg
MVIMG_20200823_131249.jpg MVIMG_20200823_131932.jpg

OP
OP
FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is actually doing really well. I have it pretty well stocked with coral now everything is really starting to settle in a start growing. It's hard to believe it was August that I put this together. I will try and get some current photos uploaded but this was a little over a month ago.

PXL_20210408_174413872.MP.jpg

Everything from the build is pretty much the same as it was. I have added two more mp40s so now there are 2 on either end of the tank, and I also added two Reefbrite 50/50 LED strips. I am still struggling to get anything consistent going in the refugium so right now its just a bunch of extra water volume and rock. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and I would be happy to answer them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back