First time Reefer - My new Red Sea Reefer Max E 260 + Optional Sump

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

After years of freshwater tanks and salt water envy I finally got sign off from the boss (wife) to purchase a marine tank.
I spent months researching and reading threads on this forum and decided to go with Red Sea because I know they make a quality bit of kit and its really well supported with all the essentials. Went for the Max E 260 because I was overwhelmed by the options, etc and wanted AIO.

Well it arrived yesterday (most of it anyway) I purchased the additional sump - something I always wanted. Red Sea let me down a little when opening the kit my 2 circulation pumps were missing, have been told they will turn up on Monday. I have a couple of small pumps to help out in the mean time.

Decided to go with the TMC Eco Reef Rock - Box A. Not a huge amount of chat about it but what if found was positive. Although its very expensive it does look great. The DD putty (i'm no artist) should blend in over time but I think it makes it pop a little.

Used Carib Sea Arag-Alive 20-Pound Fiji Pink Sand x 2 and after 3 days of creating RO water finally topped it up last night.

I have just added the salt and will wait for it to mix before taking a reading to see if my calculations are correct. If so I will start day 1 of Red Sea's mature program tomorrow.

20200515_151134.jpg
20200515_151045.jpg

OP
OP
Keviwal1

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to update on progress and hopefully aid others who are beginning this adventure.

I'm currently on day 10 of red seas mature program. I've learnt lots reading from others experiences and hours sitting in front of my tank cabinet.

First lesson... red sea mature kit is developed to work best with live rock. I'm using tmc eco rock (man made) so I'm currently ending day 10 with readings of (Ammonia = 0.2ppm, Nitrite = 0.2ppm, Nitrate = 50ppm).
Red sea expects it to be (Ammonia = 0ppm, Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate = <10ppm). With those reading I'm recommended to add a CUC which I will not be doing (they can thank me later).

I have only dosed one of the 4-5 days recommended KH Coralline Grow (alkalinity supplement) as my alkalinilty has always been slightly above the recommended levels probably due to the lack of live rock

I had been adding the recommended NoPoX (carbon-dosing supplement) levels pretty much every day, using my new Bubble Magus curve 5 and running my reefLED 90's at about 70% for 8 hours with ramp up and down included (red sea recommend 10 hours).

Then the 'ugly' stage arrived, I started seeing clear slime building up on rocks, the glass and filter socks were covered in it. Some sort of bacteria bloom. Cleaned the glass and filter socks and paused the NoPoX (carbon-dosing supplement) otherwise I'm just feeding it.

Day 10 also ended the Nitro Bac and Bacto-Start dosing.

My parameters suggest I'm probably at 50% of where I should be, but I'm happy to wait it out. Last thing I want is sick fish and corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keviwal1

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson 2

TMC Eco rock, its expensive but really looks great (although it can get broken in transport) it comes in all different shapes and sizes. Box A was my decision. It's easy to build with, I used dd putty.

Challenges, it's not going to support Red Seas Mature program (it's not live rock) and it's already all the shades of coraline algae so presents the challenge of knowing when such algae arrives.

OP
OP
Keviwal1

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson 3

What extra kit is needed and the importance of a LFS.

Found out after setting up my tank that my LFS no longer stocked marine but only fresh water. Turned out to be great news as they recommended a family run business (actually out of their home) less than 10 minutes walk from me that are super supportive and have great stock.

I have always run fresh water so quarantine tanks meant nothing to me a week ago but I now know are very important. I have setup an old 55l tank and fluval u2 which is currently cycling. Had to do fresh RO water as my display is still cycling.

Still learning loads about drip aclimation, medicines etc.

Brought the hydor smart level. I have the 40l sump upgrade on my max e 260 and ato reservoir. First 2 days it emptied 10l into the tank as I couldn't get my balance right between entry and return pump. I also managed to create a syphon by having the tube too low.

Descovered it's a real challenge (and time consuming) getting the balance of in and return flow correct. Best to leave the ato off whilst fiddling.

Other little things like the red sea tanks come with European sockets so if you have uk plugs be prepared to buy adaptors.

Back