Fish dying... please help.

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what is going on my with fish. They are dying off quick....

I have never quarantined my fish. I've kept them fed and havent lost many since being in the hobby.

This has ended.

I've now lost 5 of my 11 fish in about the last week.

I do have ich in my tank, but do not think that is the cause. My powder blue that died and purple tang both would show signs. The powder blue more than the purple.

Last week I found the powder blue dead. It was pretty fat and had eaten the night before, but he was one of the two that did have visual signs. I got him out the tank did a quick visual on my other fish and everything seemed fine. A few hours later I found my starry blenny dead. The starry blenny had not signs of illness prior to death... and a couple hours my mandarin died...

I did a visual check then on everything. All my coral, shrimp, snails and remaining fish seem fine. I fed the tank and everything ate. I checked my apex to see if I had any weird spikes and if and when my heater had kicked on. There was nothing I could make sense of.

At this point I'm down to 8 fish. Naso tang, purple tang, 2 clowns and 4 lyretails.

Since then I have paid more attention to my fishes behavior and who's eating.

A few days ago the largest lyretail( seemed to be transitioning into male) didnt eat any pellets when fed. A few hours later I fed frozen. It triggered a response in the fish, but it couldn't eat. I swam up to a couple of pieces with its mouth open and that was it. I never got the food in its mouth or closed its mouth at all. The next morning I found it on the bottom of my tank fighting for its last breath. It was a fat, healthy, and the dominant anthias. I had it for about 5 years. The day leading up to its death its eyes looked off. They were faded in color and seemed to stick out a little more.

Now today it gets even worse..... I lost one of my clownfish..the first clownfish... the first saltwater fish I ever bought 6 years ago. This clownfish was just a snowflake but held a sentimental value that is irreplaceable.

At 1030 my father in law came over. He was admiring my fish tank and I was telling how I had lost 4 fish and really cant figure it out, but am hoping I'm past it. I fed frozen around 11am. All the fish ate including the clownfish that died. Within about 2 hours of it eating it was lifeless on the bottom of the tank.

As of right now all the other fish seem fine. I fed some pellets a little bit ago and my 6 remaining fish all ate. I have not lost any snails or shrimp. I havent lost any coral. I test pretty frequently and not a spike in no3 or p04. Alk, calcium, and mag all in acceptable ranges for my coral.

I'll attach a couple of pics.

I bought a 50 gallon stock with the plans on pulling the 6 living fish and treating them.

Please provide me with any advise.
5be144a9205f42400885e893e5e4ecd8.jpg
b2c495bae99a2e93a04c138c3094794e.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the rapid succession of deaths you are probably dealing with velvet and not ich(I think I see it on the Blenny). You will need to set up a QT and get all remaining fish in and treat with copper. Your DT will need to be fishless for 6 weeks. Ramp up copper (copper power) to 1.75ppm and treat for either 30 days straight or 14 then transfer to another sterile tank. You can do a FW dip on each fish to buy them some time while you set up QT.

Also what was your latest addition and how long ago? I mean anything wet. Can you post pics of other fish? Any other symptoms? Swimming into powerhead, light sensitivity, lethargy, heavy breathing?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the rapid succession of deaths you are probably dealing with velvet and not ich(I think I see it on the Blenny). You will need to set up a QT and get all remaining fish in and treat with copper. Your DT will need to be fishless for 6 weeks. Ramp up copper (copper power) to 1.75ppm and treat for either 30 days straight or 14 then transfer to another sterile tank. You can do a FW dip on each fish to buy them some time while you set up QT.

Also what was your latest addition and how long ago? I mean anything wet. Can you post pics of other fish? Any other symptoms? Swimming into powerhead, light sensitivity, lethargy, heavy breathing?
I agree 100%. Might as well run 76 days fallow and keep all parasites out. A powder blue wasn’t going to live long-term in a tank with parasites, so if you wish to keep them moving forward this will be a requirement.

I’d use 2.0 PPM, as we recently found a strain of velvet that survived 1.75PPM.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested ammonia? Another quick killer sometimes some disturbance in old tanks can cause a bacterial die off. Hydrogen sulfide from sand beds can have a similar effect if released in enough quantity.

OP
OP
Wspangler

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the naso 2-10. I added some coral towards the end of the month. I added the mandarin and some coral about a month ago. All coral was dipped. Neither the mandarin or naso were qted by me. Both came out of an established tank breakdown. 2 different people tanks.

I turned the lights back up to try to take these pics. None of the pics came out to clear. You should be able to see the spots on the purple I thought was ich.
8bc91c0879951000a1f683248d3e04ad.jpg
5be270c37a43b7b28fcf26f38415b21b.jpg
585fbce56d07394d9837a9e4f4f7a1eb.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses :( It's no fun losing fish you have had for so long. Sad. That being said, you can handle this. Best intentions.

OP
OP
Wspangler

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take it as a learning experience... I'm a little confused now if I've had velvet this entire time and had mistaken for ich or if it were ich in the past. The purple tang has shown it a few times over the years. I've changes tanks, move and have added fish. It would show signs then go away. It seemed manageable I thought was ich.

Could have it been velvet this entire time or is it more likely that it came in recently? Either way itll be treated, and moving forward I'll have a proper qt for new fish. For my own mind I'd like to know where it likely came from.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take it as a learning experience... I'm a little confused now if I've had velvet this entire time and had mistaken for ich or if it were ich in the past. The purple tang has shown it a few times over the years. I've changes tanks, move and have added fish. It would show signs then go away. It seemed manageable I thought was ich.

Could have it been velvet this entire time or is it more likely that it came in recently? Either way itll be treated, and moving forward I'll have a proper qt for new fish. For my own mind I'd like to know where it likely came from.

There are some fish who can manage velvet because of their thick slime coats, like wrasse, gobies, blennies, and your Mandarin falls into that category.
Tangs can sometimes manage ich but velvet not so much. Ich can kill but not typically at the rate you e seen through the last week. I suspect one of your new additions brought it in.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can hitch a ride on anything wet. All it takes is one dinospore, in a single droplet of water. They multiply rapidly, and often swarm the gills of fish before you even see spots on the bodies...

I’m sorry for your losses :(

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to guess, and maybe it's impossible, what percentage of fish (let's say tangs) that pass through the LA wholesalers carry velvet? Maybe I've been reading too much of this forum lately but it sure seems like a lot of it going around.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to guess, and maybe it's impossible, what percentage of fish (let's say tangs) that pass through the LA wholesalers carry velvet? Maybe I've been reading too much of this forum lately but it sure seems like a lot of it going around.

Right now disease is rife in the fish distribution system, the only way to know you have a healthy fish is to QT him yourself.

Back