Fish poo?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown’s poo sometimes looks like it hasn’t been digested fully, the odd time it resembles brine shrimp.

Is this normal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My female clown’s poo sometimes looks like it hasn’t been digested fully, the odd time it resembles brine shrimp.

Is this normal?
Yes- Often feeding both brine shrimp and mysis shrimp mimics white poop associated with internal parasites
Change up the diet adding LRS fish frenzy, formula 1 and marine cuisine to the diet

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- Often feeding both brine shrimp and mysis shrimp mimics white poop associated with internal parasites
Change up the diet adding LRS fish frenzy, formula 1 and marine cuisine to the diet
I’m not understanding your reply, are you saying the fish could have parasites?

Not sure if it was a coincidence but I had just fed the fish some brine shrimp, the poo which resembled brine shrimp happened maybe only 10min later.

I feed the fish a wide range of foods, all frozen.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what @vetteguy53081 is saying is that feeding mysis and brine shrimp can cause white stringy poo which is also associated with parasites so if you're seeing white poo it could be food related or it could be parasites. I think providing a picture would help the experts determine what you are seeing. Is the fish acting normally otherwise?

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what @vetteguy53081 is saying is that feeding mysis and brine shrimp can cause white stringy poo which is also associated with parasites so if you're seeing white poo it could be food related or it could be parasites. I think providing a picture would help the experts determine what you are seeing. Is the fish acting normally otherwise?

right, that’s what I thought he was saying.

The poo is not stringy at all, it literally looks like brine shrimp, the tank resembles what the tank looks like after I add the brine shrimp.

The poo clears too fast for me to get a photo, seen it happen maybe 3 times previously, this is the first time I saw it was actually poo.

The fish is acting normally and looks healthy.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this normal?
Brine shrimp is a bit difficult to digest, kinda like eating kernel corn
However, I have seen fish with internal issues have digestive problems.
I would skip the brine, I prefer chopped mysids and a good pellet food like NLS.
Jay

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the brine, I prefer chopped mysids and a good pellet food like NLS.
Jay
I did feed brine earlier today as well so I guess it could be from then and not from the latest feeding.

They have never taken to Mysis, I have tried many brands, even bought PE Mysis which ended up in the bin.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Corn …. The only rented veggie

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m not understanding your reply, are you saying the fish could have parasites?

Not sure if it was a coincidence but I had just fed the fish some brine shrimp, the poo which resembled brine shrimp happened maybe only 10min later.

I feed the fish a wide range of foods, all frozen.
As KarenO stated- when you feed these foods eclusively, the poop appears white and strigy which is associated with intestinal issues but to summarize, yes the poo can be gel/mucus like of brine shrimp. Example of white poo issue is below

1668563222438.png
1668563237324.png

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As KarenO stated- when you feed these foods eclusively, the poop appears white and strigy which is associated with intestinal issues but to summarize, yes the poo can be gel/mucus like of brine shrimp. Example of white poo issue is below

1668563222438.png
1668563237324.png

wish I had a picture, the poo wasn’t in any way stringy, it literally came out in many parts, small individual pieces, just looked like when I squirt some brine strimp into the tank.

I feed 5-6 different types of frozen foods.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wish I had a picture, the poo wasn’t in any way stringy, it literally came out in many parts, small individual pieces, just looked like when I squirt some brine strimp into the tank.

I feed 5-6 different types of frozen foods.
I would stop concentrating on the poo - and concentrate on 1) is it eating. 2) is it looking healthy 3) is it maintaining or gaining weight. Just My opinion. If you are feeding a wide variety of frozen foods - you're not likely having the problem others have mentioned.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back