Fish went in to hiding.

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have royal gramma and redhead Goby that both were out and active, so this past Saturday I introduced the cleaner shrimp in a tank and few corals and the next day I did my weekly water change and cleaning. Now they both are in the hiding. Royal gramm I saw briefly in the morning and Goby poked out for a second yesterday. They don't even seem to come out when I feed them. Bit worried.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change, add carbon, check parameters (post them too), and check for signs of disease. It would be helpful to post pictures or videos under a white light.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change, add carbon, check parameters (post them too), and check for signs of disease. It would be helpful to post pictures or videos under a white light.
I did water change the next day, which was 2 days ago. I was thinking maybe they got stressed out, I was placing corals one day, introduced a cleaner shrimp there, and the following day did a water change and cleaned the tank. What signs of disease? I'll post pictures when I get home later on

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any other fish in the tank?

My royal gramma always hides, even at feeding time I don't see him, but I had him for 3 years.

My redhead goby is usually out. It doesn't swim much, it just hovers in one spot all day.

They will usually hide when I get close to the tank. Some fish take a long time to get used to people.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not changed anything apart from introducing cleaner shrimp to the tank and some corals, but that's it. I did upgrade to two small nozzles that comes with fluval evo to two small rfgs.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any other fish in the tank?

My royal gramma always hides, even at feeding time I don't see him, but I had him for 3 years.

My redhead goby is usually out. It doesn't swim much, it just hovers in one spot all day.

They will usually hide when I get close to the tank. Some fish take a long time to get used to people.
Same with my goby, it was outside by his cave, royal gramma was swimming around and you would see it all day long

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with my goby, it was outside by his cave, royal gramma was swimming around and you would see it all day long
Royal grammas are known to be shy when first introduced to a new tank. Mine was rarely out the first week but is now out and about all the time. I’ve had it for over two years. I’m not familiar with your type of goby so I can’t comment on it’s type of behavior. I’d just give them both more time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hiding is a sign of intimidation and illness and fish mentioned suffer from flukes in which is also a sign.
Are they eating when fed?
Any increased breathing rate?
Darting or scratching?

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding is a sign of intimidation and illness and fish mentioned suffer from flukes in which is also a sign.
Are they eating when fed?
Any increased breathing rate?
Darting or scratching?
I mentioned that when I feed them, they haven't came out to eat. About breathing, I can't see, because they are hiding in their caves. Royal gramma bolted to the cave this morning when I walked past the tank. Goby popped out it's head for a brief moment yesterday

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I mentioned that when I feed them, they haven't came out to eat. About breathing, I can't see, because they are hiding in their caves. Royal gramma bolted to the cave this morning when I walked past the tank. Goby popped out it's head for a brief moment yesterday
Are lights too bright? Try blue only and see if they are more out in the open.
Ive seen tank facing tv's where fish get spooked from constant screen changes and flashes.
Need to know breathing rate when you get to see them and also try feeding a small portion of brine shrimp and step back and see if they come out when youre not i front of tank

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the gramma hiding in there. Goby I is in the cave at the end of video, but is not seen. That side of the tank in the video is facing the wall, so I had to lean and take a video.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are lights too bright? Try blue only and see if they are more out in the open.
Ive seen tank facing tv's where fish get spooked from constant screen changes and flashes.
Need to know breathing rate when you get to see them and also try feeding a small portion of brine shrimp and step back and see if they come out when youre not i front of tank
Issue is that it's not like I introduced them in this tank just now, they were introduced 2 weeks ago and they were settled in and this past weekend when I started to introduce corals and cleaner shrimp that this thing happened. Even when I introduced the shrimp they both were curious and then I introduced corals and used the aquarium epoxy to stick corals to my rocks. But LFS assured it will be safe for fish. So I don't know.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Issue is that it's not like I introduced them in this tank just now, they were introduced 2 weeks ago and they were settled in and this past weekend when I started to introduce corals and cleaner shrimp that this thing happened. Even when I introduced the shrimp they both were curious and then I introduced corals and used the aquarium epoxy to stick corals to my rocks. But LFS assured it will be safe for fish. So I don't know.
Tes, it obvious something changed, and trying to pinPoint. There are cases where epoxy leached into water causing chemistry issues and change of environment also plays a role with addition of coral.
To alleviate low level toxin from coral and epoxy, add carbon which may help with this

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tes, it obvious something changed, and trying to pinPoint. There are cases where epoxy leached into water causing chemistry issues and change of environment also plays a role with addition of coral.
To alleviate low level toxin from coral and epoxy, add carbon which may help with this
Okay, I have a small bag of carbon that came with fluval evo, how long should I keep it in?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured out what is the problem. It has to be the two small rfg nozzles that I swapped out from the ones that came with fluval evo. I upgraded the pump but still had the stock nozzles and fish were fine. So today while I was on my lunch break I decided to turn off the return pump off while I'm at home. And almost immediately both fish were out and about. And the moment I turned the pump back on they went in to hiding and did not came out. So it must be the nozzles that's generating too strong of a current in the tank. Will probably swap out for the original ones that I had in my tank.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think I figured out what is the problem. It has to be the two small rfg nozzles that I swapped out from the ones that came with fluval evo. I upgraded the pump but still had the stock nozzles and fish were fine. So today while I was on my lunch break I decided to turn off the return pump off while I'm at home. And almost immediately both fish were out and about. And the moment I turned the pump back on they went in to hiding and did not came out. So it must be the nozzles that's generating too strong of a current in the tank. Will probably swap out for the original ones that I had in my tank.
I wonder if it was flow (direction / current) or the "noise" vibrations the nozzle might have made? Interesting!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back