Fishless Cycling question

revheat21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a new fluval 13.5 tank and have a question about the cycling process. I’ll be using live rock and sand in addition to Dr. Tim’s one and only and dosing ammonia as directed. I also will be using an intank media basket in chamber 1.

My question is what filter media should i use during the cycling process? I dont think i want to use the foam filter that came with the tank, but what about the carbon or bio media? Anything else? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any media yet

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a new fluval 13.5 tank and have a question about the cycling process. I’ll be using live rock and sand in addition to Dr. Tim’s one and only and dosing ammonia as directed. I also will be using an intank media basket in chamber 1.

My question is what filter media should i use during the cycling process? I dont think i want to use the foam filter that came with the tank, but what about the carbon or bio media? Anything else? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
No carbon nor any other media is needed. Are you using Live Rock, as in wet, or as in name only? If it is real Live Rock you don't need anything else. If it is dry rock, then your plan is good. Just water, salt, flow, heat, and Nitrifying bacteria. you can dose the ammonia, just be careful to not overdose.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back