flesh wound?? should I be concerned?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over the past couple days, I have noticed a flesh would on one of my cardinals. He/she seems to be acting normal. behavior and feeding habits haven't changed.

I tried getting a good picture in both blue and white lighting, but between him swimming and the need of a quick photo, picture isn't all that clear. the blue light photo makes the wound seem a lot bigger than it actually is. but you can definitely see the damaged area (between the 1st and 2nd dorsal fin). I first thought it might be a wound from a rock, but with it being right at the base of the body, where the fins meet, I think that's unlikely.

I don't see any other blemishes anywhere else on it's body.

the first photo is an internet photo that I have placed a red dot, showing the wound location.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
over the past couple days, I have noticed a flesh would on one of my cardinals. He/she seems to be acting normal. behavior and feeding habits haven't changed.

I tried getting a good picture in both blue and white lighting, but between him swimming and the need of a quick photo, picture isn't all that clear. the blue light photo makes the wound seem a lot bigger than it actually is. but you can definitely see the damaged area (between the 1st and 2nd dorsal fin). I first thought it might be a wound from a rock, but with it being right at the base of the body, where the fins meet, I think that's unlikely.

the first photo is an internet photo that I have placed a red dot, showing the wound location.

The question is how this happened. What other fish are in the tank with it?
This will likely heal on its own But keep an eye on it for redness or soreness which indicated infection. Would not be bad to have on hand Seachem kanaplex should infection set in

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree I would have an antibiotic and a hospital tank ready.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that this is an unusual site for an injury, possible but not probable. For another fish to have bitten it there, it would have had to aim between both dorsal fins, slide past them and bite the fish's body....that's why you see most damage from aggression on the fin edges or the side of the body.

This could be a primary infection (one that didn't start from an injury). That is rare in long term captives, more common in newly acquired fish. Most of these infections are bacterial, rarely are they fungal. If it grows more extensive, treatment in a hospital tank with antibiotics would be needed.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm expecting that kanaplex tomorrow, but until then, I'm continuing observation.
I have had these cardinals for 46 days now. During that time, I have seen the larger of the two cardinals, torment the smaller (the smaller has the flesh wound). I really haven't thought much of it. I always notice the smaller one is sorta on opposite sides of the tank. well, since this issue has surfaced, I have been watching a lot closer and more often. tonight, I noticed the same tormenting going on. i notice that the larger dorsal fin, near the wound is sorta like a ribbon floating in the water. it's not standing up like it should be. is there a possibility that the other cardinal would go after that one spot over and over? but why that spot, when you have the whole body as a target? I guess we can't answer that, but I will attempt to get him out of the display tank tomorrow and into the QT.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the Kanaplex bottle instructions, it mentions how much to add to the water based on tank volume. Repeating dosage every three days if needed.

It doesn't mention anything about water changes.

how long should the fish stay in the QT tank with this medication? Am I waiting till he is a 100% healthy?, 30 days?, etc

he is still eating and acting normal, but the would is not going away. I certainly think the other cardinal is to blame......so this might be an ongoing thing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the Kanaplex bottle instructions, it mentions how much to add to the water based on tank volume. Repeating dosage every three days if needed.

It doesn't mention anything about water changes.

how long should the fish stay in the QT tank with this medication? Am I waiting till he is a 100% healthy?, 30 days?, etc

he is still eating and acting normal, but the would is not going away. I certainly think the other cardinal is to blame......so this might be an ongoing thing.

Kanamycin can be toxic in some cases. Noga (the fish disease guru) indicates that the proper in-water dose for kanamycin is 190 to 380 mg/gallon every 3 days for three treatments, with a 50% water change prior to the second and third treatments.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back