OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank update - since February - the growth seems fantastic. Interesting that the coral is taking over the areas where chaeto had grown previously. Pictures are Left to Right

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Are the angelfish working out OK? Beautiful fish for sure.

Yeah - unfortunately - the large male jumped out. The rest are fine. Im awaiting a replacement from the LFS - Thanks for the compliment.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tank w/ dead rock from BRS b/c I wanted to be enviromentally friendly. Earlier in my hobby I had live rock flown in for another tank. I personally think the live rock is 100% better and ended up swapping between the 2 tanks to add depth to the dead rock system. I found the DR to be very light? Have you worked with both? Ever notice any differences?

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one tank w/ dead rock from BRS b/c I wanted to be enviromentally friendly. Earlier in my hobby I had live rock flown in for another tank. I personally think the live rock is 100% better and ended up swapping between the 2 tanks to add depth to the dead rock system. I found the DR to be very light? Have you worked with both? Ever notice any differences?

The Rock got from BRS was 'dead coral' its not just rock - similar to this from Marine Depot. https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...MIgd2LoJr93wIVUNbACh09nQU-EAQYAyABEgKE2PD_BwE

I used rock from a smaller tank (that I bought from an LFS years ago) in addition to the 'dead rock'. I thought the dead shelf rock created a nice base to allow water flow underneath the other rocks. and also looked nice

Personally - I think live vs dead is personal preference Dead rock is very quickly colonized with stuff/bacteria, etc that is brought in when you start putting coral/other livestock in a tank.

I think part of the reason people have 'algae blooms' when starting a tank relates to cycling a tank for weeks. I tend to put in the rock, add bacteria (and I usually increase the dose over what's recommended), immediately add fish - and a clean up crew. perhaps after a couple weeks add a hardy coral. Again - the is probably heresy - but I think that if you let algae, etc 'get a hold' on the tank with no predation at the start 0 is much harder to get rid of later... Again JMHO - I dont have any references or science to prove it

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's a tank update from today - right, middle, left. Some things have been moved around - my large goniopora died after a problem with my apex. I also bought a couple new things a while back. Enjoy - comment as you wish.
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Reefer Mixed Reef.

IMG_1620.png
You corals are absolutely awesome , I need to stabilized my tank it has never been like this, no clue exactly what happen and still trying to ping pong what happen, where has I fail after couple years , ughhh

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back