- Jan 15, 2019
- Reaction score
- South River, NJ
Hello and welcome to my build thread everyone!
First tank, never had an aquarium. I've been interested in it for a long time and did some research here and there but now I finally decided to start. DYI projects are also something that are very enjoyable to do so this fits two bills. The learning curve has been HUGE and if I ever get into SPS dominant tanks, it will be a second tank with a stocking that is more friendly. I've run into most of the common problems that tend to run with early tanks but guess that is just part of the experience.
-the front has 3 layers of plywood (exterior layer was 1/4" slotted plywood, other 2 layers were just leftover plywood from other jobs. This was so I can have to doors be flush with the walls and have some thickness to the doors. This part was a real pain in the butt due to the tank dimensions being 48.5" long, thus the cabinet frame was 49" long and then add the extra 1/2" for the side plywood sides, so I had to extend the sheets for such a small amount. It is a lot to type out how i did the extension and offsets but if you are interested, let me know.
-the sides only used the 1/4 slotted plywood.
-trim on the top to cover the plywood edge
-pegboard for the back
-the stain isn't what I wanted but needed one to go with the rest of the house decor and flooring. American chestnut stain with spar urethane finish inside and outside the cabinet.
View attachment 992489
-3 stage sump using a 29 gal tank
Stage 1 - Mechanical:
-Reef Octopus Skimmer classic 110 int
- 2 Heaters with an Inkbird monitor
Stage 2 - Biological: (Wish i had alot more space for this section, maybe in the future I will upgrade)
-chaeto is crazy good at getting rid of nutrients and algae in the DP. It is honestly pretty scary.
-pods that came with the chaeto, not sure what kind. Thank you to local reefer!
Stage 3 - Return:
-have some acrylic pieces on the baffle to hold a eggcrate, will put a filter pad
here to catch anything that tries to come out of the bio chamber
-Autoaqua smart ato micro
-Mag 7 Return Pump
-Don't think reactors are needed atm
-75 gal tank cracked during drilling (my fault for not checking both sides for tempered glass, one side wasn't and a few weeks later, I drilled on the other side...) but got a good deal on a used 90 gal predrilled from lfs.
-UPS was tested with some runs on the wavemaker, getting 7 hours of runtime
- fluvial sea marine 25000k LEDs for color and night
- 2 ATI t5 bulb for daytime lights
- 2 Computer fans - controlled by Inkbird
I got tan gravel and 100 lbs of rock, I'm very satisfied with the aquascape. Tank will be filled with macros and a few corals slowly over time. This will be the slowest and hopefully most satisfying as everything gets added and grows out to fill the empty space.
- Longspine Urchin
- Mixed batch of snails, mostly trochus snails.
-Hatian Condi Anemone
-Bubbletip Anemone (debating)
- Mangroves in the overflow.
- chaeto in the sump.
- looking for shaving bushes.
- gracilaria in the display.
- halymania was attempted in the display, not sure if the urchin or fox ate it, chunks of it have disapeared over time till none was left. Ulva seemed to be outcompeted by the chaeto.
-other red macros will be attempted, just hard to find some that won't get eaten.
Do not know the names given to these corals, especially the zoas, been buying small frags from local reefers and just picking whatever would look nice.
- red montipora
- kenya tree
- zoas (looking to do a garden)
- cabbage leather
-not actively looking to add more atm, maybe if I come across one of interest or swapping. If I find a frogspawn/hammer, that might be it along with continuing the zoa garden.
Progression Pics, random intervals. I'll have to look up pic info and track dates.