Build Thread (IM INT 75–First Reef Tank)

gsbrawley65

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
34
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September 7, 2026 Update:

First Corals are in the tank:
-2 Photosynthetic Gorgonians
-A few Ricordea Florida
-Blue Kenya Tree
-Toadstool Leather
-Bubble Tip Anemone

Livestock (Added):
-Two neon gobies. Ordered from Dr. Reef and he sent two (one free). So, I'm trying two of them out. They are small, captive bred. So, maybe they can pair. If not, I'll re-home.
-A variety of clean up crew members from Reef Cleaners. Loving the tiger conch and halloween hermit.
-Pom Pom Crab, Cleaner Shrimp, Emerald Crab.

Livestock (Later this Month Assuming the below was Anemone Related)
-Red Headed Solon Wrasse
-Flame Angel

Issues: The anemone walked to the Midas Blenny's favorite spot. This cause the stubborn Midas to sting himself (head and gills) about 15 times. As it is a very small anemone, I assume the sting was weaker (but maybe not). He then started violently flashing, yawning, swimming in the flow for about 48 hours. He has now settled down and signs the behavior has stoped (as best I can tell). So, though I'm still monitoring, I'm hopeful the issues solely related to the anemone sting.

1788816774060.png


1788816809149.png


Original Message:

I’m in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank. I have previous freshwater experience. Given the amount of research (what I really enjoy) that has gone into the process, I’ve decided to start a build thread largely for my own enjoyment. However, as a beginner, I welcome comments, critiques, suggestions, or encouragement.

As a sometimes busy lawyer, my goal is to make the tank low maintenance (within reason) and able to survive largely on its on (other than bi-weekly water changes and weekly ATO reservoir filling). I also made the mistake with my previous freshwater experience of going cheap initially and then upgrading everything. So, I’ve tried to avoid all that (within reason).

Current Equipment:

Tank: Innovative Marine INT 75 Complete Reef System (only 36 inches wide as opposed to the typical 48 inch 75 gallon).
Stand: APS Aquarium Stand
Sump: IM RFS-27-39 gallon (currently keeping the water level at 11 1/4 inches).
Return Pump: Mighty XL Return Pump (currently running at 50%)
Power Heads: Two Nero 3s (currently running each at 50% random flow)
Lights: Two AI Blade Grows (currently very low % and limited time)
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 110INT protein skimmer (on stand to allow higher water level)
ATO: Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti ATO with a Red Sea 18-liter ATO reservoir (only reservoir I could fit in the stand with the sump as it is just 3.5 inches wide).
Heaters: 2 EHEIM Jager 150W heaters with the InkBird ITC-306A
Rock: 50 pounds KP Aquatics Live Rock and 15 pounds of KP Aquatics Dry Rock. I also have about 10/15 pounds of the dry rock in the sump.
Sand: CaribSea Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand (Dry Version). About 1.5 inches and 2 to 2.5 inches in some areas.
Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.
RO/DI System, Mixing, and Water Change System: BRS 4 Stage RO/DI System, 2 20 Gallon Brut Trash Cans, 10 Gallon Brut, 2 5 Gallon Buckets, One Syncra Silent 1.5 with 10 feet of hose for short water transfers, One Syncra Silent 3.5 with 25 feet of hose for long water transfers (also use to mix salt as I’ve found it does the best and the 25 feet of hose is unwieldy).

Equipment on the Way:

Automatic Feeder: The Plank and an associated smart plug.
Lid: Kraken Reef Lid with cutouts for the plank, cords on the back corners, and a feeding hole on the front right.

Planned Stocking:
  • 2 (Bonded pair) Ocellaris clownfish
  • 1 Neon goby
  • 1 Chalk bass
  • 1 Royal gramma
  • 1 Yellow watchman goby and Tiger pistol shrimp
  • 1 Midas blenny
  • 1 McCosker’s flasher wrasses
  • 1 Red-headed Solon fairy wrasse
  • 1 Flame angelfish
  • 1 Male Mandarin (After a year and trying to establish a pod population)
Planned Corals: Soft Corals, maybe easy LPS.

Current Status: My cycle is complete. Set up the tank 7/1. Start the stocking process on Friday (2 days from now). My first stocking will be the Bonded pair of Ocellaris clownfish, the Neon goby, and the Chalk bass. The rest will follow in groups 2/3 weeks after.

Quarantine: My spouse was not excited about a separate quarantine tank after the setting up process. So, I’ve purchased quarantined fish and CUC from Dr. Reef.



IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

IMG_6266.jpeg

IMG_6278.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6735.jpeg

IMG_6868.jpeg

IMG_6869.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Following along!
 
Thanks, everyone!

Re-tested the water tonight. All looks good and ready for fish tomorrow.

0.0 Ammonia; 0.0 Nitrite; 6.3 Nitrate; .10 Phosphate. All with Hanna checkers except the Nitrite.

I also discovered what I think is a sea urchin this afternoon. Attaching pictures. Hoping it’s a good hitchhiker (at least as it grows). Initial research says it likely is.



IMG_7131.jpeg

IMG_7127.jpeg

IMG_7126.jpeg
 
Fish arrived and all appear to be doing great. The Chalk Bass hid for about 3 hours but has started venturing out now and hovering by a cave.

Dr. Reef held the neon goby as it didn’t pass the health inspection. So, current stocking is 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 chalk bass, 7 Trochus, 7 Cerith, and 7 Nassarius snails.



92134FC3-8493-4DED-B08E-4DD8A8D14B29.png

IMG_7166.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7143.jpeg

IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7145.jpeg
 
Your build is awesome. I am waiting on my IM EXT 75 and we share a lot of similarities beyond the (almost) same tank. First saltwater tank but several freshwater over the years. Demanding job with semi-frequent travel, a wife that is already giving me eye rolls as items start to show up in boxes on the front porch, similar stocking plan. I really like the dual-island aquascape and I will also be using live rock. Did you look at TBS? KP Aquatics was on my radar but after seeing how the rocks actually look in the tank they are now a front-runner. I'm very much taking my time with everything and my two boys are looking forward to the 3-5 weeks of exploring potential hitch hikers before any fish or coral. Did you pickup the KP Aquatics rocks at the airport? Assuming you went with some of their dry rock because of the 25lb limit per box, to keep to two boxes? Did you consider live sand? Did you glue the live rocks or are they stacked? Looking forward to your build updates and following along. Best of luck with the tank.
 
Your build is awesome. I am waiting on my IM EXT 75 and we share a lot of similarities beyond the (almost) same tank. First saltwater tank but several freshwater over the years. Demanding job with semi-frequent travel, a wife that is already giving me eye rolls as items start to show up in boxes on the front porch, similar stocking plan. I really like the dual-island aquascape and I will also be using live rock. Did you look at TBS? KP Aquatics was on my radar but after seeing how the rocks actually look in the tank they are now a front-runner. I'm very much taking my time with everything and my two boys are looking forward to the 3-5 weeks of exploring potential hitch hikers before any fish or coral. Did you pickup the KP Aquatics rocks at the airport? Assuming you went with some of their dry rock because of the 25lb limit per box, to keep to two boxes? Did you consider live sand? Did you glue the live rocks or are they stacked? Looking forward to your build updates and following along. Best of luck with the tank.
Thanks. If it had it to do over again, I would have done the EXT too. Love the tank but I did not think about the in tank space I was giving up. My only other change would be to not buy the complete package with the sump. I'd like some more room in the cabinet. But the pre-plumbed accessibility was really nice.

I really only looked at KP Aquatics. I can't remember why. But, it was great. Service was great and despite them being sold out of the premium the owner indicated he'd send me some premium pieces as starter. All the rocks were great. I got them shipped to my door and they had limited die off. I did partially dry rock because I had the idea of doing a complicated scape. I ended up liking the current two island setup the most and there is very little glue or mortar (but a LOT of patience and moving the rock to get them to fit together in a stable way). I also added the rock pre-sand to allow them to sit on the bottom. I never considered live sand given my use of live rock.

Best of luck with your tank too.
 
I made some slight updates to the aquascape. I added two small islands for potential fast growing corals. I'm thinking GSP for the front small island and ricordea Florida for the side island.

My next batch of fish (Royal Gramma, Midas Blenny, Watchman Goby, Tiger Pistol, and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse) arrive on August 19th. This is a slightly bigger batch than originally intended. However, my parameters are good with the 50 pounds of live rock (and now 40 pounds of dry in the display and sump). I'll also be ready if my numbers start to creep up.

I'm also starting to plan my first coral additions. My current thought are the GSP (on small island), Ricordea Florida (on right side small island and on bottom of left island main rock work), Mountain Dew Toadstool (on the shelf on the left main island), Neon Green Fingers (TBD), and Leather-Cabbage (on bottom right main island). Corals are where I'll need more research as I've been fish focused until now.



IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7284.jpeg
 
Have you already started using the skimmer? If so, when did you turn it online?
 
Have you already started using the skimmer? If so, when did you turn it online?
Yes. I started about two weeks after setting up the tank. I read mixed things about waiting to be stocked, but settled on starting it before and getting the break in process over. I also had to freshwater dip one of my rocks to deal with a bad hitchhiker. So, I had a lot of die off the skimmer helped with.
 
Received some new gear this week. A Kraken Reef lid and the plank. Set both up tonight, filled the plank with reef jerky, and added galaxy pods from AlgeaBarn.

Phosphate is slowly creeping up (current .18), but the nitrate is consistently sitting at 4-6 PPM. Water change tomorrow and next round of stock on Wednesday from Dr. Reef.



IMG_7322.jpeg
 
The lid looks great. Any reason why you didn't install the Plank in the sump? Not enough room?
 
The lid looks great. Any reason why you didn't install the Plank in the sump? Not enough room?
My cabinet is already pretty tight and I like the idea of having eyes on it. It being in the back wall corner convinced me I won’t mind it too much. We’ll see.

So far it seems great (though I’m still dialing it in). The chalk bass hasn’t figured it out but the clowns are destroying the food right out of the tube.
 
I recieved my second shipment from Dr. Reef this week. Everyone is doing great (I haven’t seen much of the watchman goby but he’s found the pistol and has a burrow). One of the McCosker’s died in shipping but Dr. Reef sent an extra free of charge.

Current Stocking:
  • 2 Ocellaris clownfish
  • 1 Chalk bass
  • 1 Royal gramma
  • 1 Yellow watchman goby and Tiger pistol shrimp
  • 1 Midas blenny
  • 1 McCosker’s flasher wrasses
Future additions:
  • 1 Neon goby
  • 1 Red-headed Solon fairy wrasse
  • 1 Flame angelfish

I also added some equipment:

AI Orbit 2 (to help my 2 Nero 3s). Needed more flow.
Second AI Blade Grow. Too much shadowing with one.



IMG_0105.jpeg
 
Just spent two hours trying to catch the yellow watchman goby after he jumped from the display to the internal overflow.

He’s now super stressed but back in the display.
 
September 7, 2026 Update:

First Corals are in the tank:
-2 Photosynthetic Gorgonians
-A few Ricordea Florida
-Blue Kenya Tree
-Toadstool Leather
-Bubble Tip Anemone

Livestock (Added):
-Two neon gobies. Ordered from Dr. Reef and he sent two (one free). So, I'm trying two of them out. They are small, captive bred. So, maybe they can pair. If not, I'll re-home.
-A variety of clean up crew members from Reef Cleaners. Loving the tiger conch and halloween hermit.
-Pom Pom Crab, Cleaner Shrimp, Emerald Crab.

Livestock (Later this Month Assuming the below was Anemone Related)
-Red Headed Solon Wrasse
-Flame Angel

Issues: The anemone walked to the Midas Blenny's favorite spot. This cause the stubborn Midas to sting himself (head and gills) about 15 times. As it is a very small anemone, I assume the sting was weaker (but maybe not). He then started violently flashing, yawning, swimming in the flow for about 48 hours. He has now settled down and signs the behavior has stoped (as best I can tell). So, though I'm still monitoring, I'm hopeful the issues solely related to the anemone sting.



AquaCam_0661B5F2.jpeg

AquaCam_3DC15EB2.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new