Fluconazole for Algae problems

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked for my tank a few years ago. I had bad byopsis and it was the only thing that worked. Took care of the hair algae too but took longer for that. Lots of places to get it: Amazon, BRS, walmart petz (online I think). I purchased a couple of times from https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com/ 200mg 20 capsules.

derekgoude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for when I had the dreaded bryopsis. Man that stuff sucked. Like jcca mentioned, I'm not aware of it doing anything other than that.

I believe most people are using a skimmer, doing water changes, growing algae intentionally in a refugium and that is completing algae in the display. Then supplementing with some gfo in addition to carbon to knock down phosphates. Some do and don't use filter socks.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did get rid of gha in my tank--after the byropsis. If it is bad, this stuff works. Not sure I'd try it for regular algae without the byropsis.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for GHA after a long, long battle and trying just about everything else. Worked quickly and efficiently and got it to a point where my CUC could get it back in check. I got it from Amazon for a de minimus cost.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you all had a different hair algae than me. I’ve had hair algae grow very well during the fluconazole treatment both times.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you all had a different hair algae than me. I’ve had hair algae grow very well during the fluconazole treatment both times.

Interesting. To me it was a bit of a last resort having tried everything else. That said, with algae treatment it's always tough to know what actually worked. Some things take a while to kick in and when you have tried a lot of things over the months it's tough to attribute the win to any one of them. To me, I saw a noticeable response in days though I freely admit this could be down to one of my earlier attempts.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. To me it was a bit of a last resort having tried everything else. That said, with algae treatment it's always tough to know what actually worked. Some things take a while to kick in and when you have tried a lot of things over the months it's tough to attribute the win to any one of them. To me, I saw a noticeable response in days though I freely admit this could be down to one of my earlier attempts.
There is definitely precedent for this. The original thread talks about it inhibiting hair algae, that just wasn’t my experience.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back