Flukes or aggression from other fish?

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i All, I’m new here and to the saltwater community.
I have three anthias, one of which started swimming in an upwards direction in the front corner of the tank, about halfway down 1/4-1/2 down the tank. He has a puffy white line on his side, and today it looks like there may be another small one next to it. Sometimes he is swimming normal, but keeps to that corner pretty much other than at night. He is eating. I did noticed yesterday it looked like he yawned. anthias go after him at times. so wondering if it’s flukes or from aggression. I have not been able to catch him as he is quite the fast swimmer then
I have prazipro coming today…should I dose, do I need to get my clam and anenome out when I dose. This is a 90 gal tank with sump filtration, in tank uv filter, 2 wavemakers. Will I need to provide more oxygenation to the tank if I need to dose?
This photo is from yesterday. Now today it looks like a similar area next to this one
thank you in advance for your help!

1C857245-9AB9-4509-8B4E-27B1AA5B08F4.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have three anthias, one of which started swimming in an upwards direction in the front corner of the tank, about halfway down 1/4-1/2 down the tank. He has a puffy white line on his side, and today it looks like there may be another small one next to it. Sometimes he is swimming normal, but keeps to that corner pretty much other than at night. He is eating. I did noticed yesterday it looked like he yawned. anthias go after him at times. so wondering if it’s flukes or from aggression. I have not been able to catch him as he is quite the fast swimmer then
I have prazipro coming today…should I dose, do I need to get my clam and anenome out when I dose. This is a 90 gal tank with sump filtration, in tank uv filter, 2 wavemakers. Will I need to provide more oxygenation to the tank if I need to dose?
This photo is from yesterday. Now today it looks like a similar area next to this one

Welcome to the community !!
Post a couple of more pics if you can as there appears to be a blemish. As for flukes, some signs you will notice are gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
You can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank in a CLEAN container and return fish to display.
Check dip cotainer for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales which will confirm flukes if you see any

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Certainly add extra aeration, that cannot hurt at this point.

How long have you had this fish? If newish, my concern is that it might have internal Uronema. Usually, those lesions show reddish, but the angular shape of this lesion (sloping forward at the top) definitely fits that issue. Anthias often fight while they are working out dominance, but I would expect more fin damage if that were the case.

I would continue with the treatment for flukes, since praziquantel is well-tolerated, but if it is internal Uronema, I'm afraid there isn't any effective treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community !!
Post a couple of more pics if you can as there appears to be a blemish. As for flukes, some signs you will notice are gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
You can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank in a CLEAN container and return fish to display.
Check dip cotainer for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales which will confirm flukes if you see any
Thank you for the info. I will try to get more pics, however I walked away for a few minutes and now I can’t find him. I’m assuming he is hiding somewhere in the rock where I can’t see.
The blemish was not there The other day, and over today it has progressively worsened, appears swollen, pale, and over the afternoon an area appears a little dark. His other side now to appears to be getting pale. He ate this morning but did not when I just fed mysis, was hiding behind the seaweed net clip, when I stepped away. no flashing/scratching on rocks. Just not moving from that corner until I walked away. I got my prazipro, should I just go ahead and dose the tank? And is two wavemakers, pump from uv in the tank plus sump enough aeration. I just don’t want to lose my other fish who are all seeming fine.

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Certainly add extra aeration, that cannot hurt at this point.

How long have you had this fish? If newish, my concern is that it might have internal Uronema. Usually, those lesions show reddish, but the angular shape of this lesion (sloping forward at the top) definitely fits that issue. Anthias often fight while they are working out dominance, but I would expect more fin damage if that were the case.

I would continue with the treatment for flukes, since praziquantel is well-tolerated, but if it is internal Uronema, I'm afraid there isn't any effective treatment.

Jay
I just looked it up and that looks very similar. The fish is a newer fish.
what do I need to do to treat my tank for this? Continue with the prazipro?
Also aeration, I have two wavemakers the pump from in tank uv, and sump…would that be enough? I would have to go get something else for more?
Ugh!!! This tank stresses me out! I don’t want to lose my other fish. Also with prazi do I need to remove the clam and anenome?
Thanks!

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok he came back out, here are pictures…this has me so stressed!
So I have a good size fat and happy blue hippo, a foxface, three Chromis, a Midas blenny, and two clowns. All who seem healthy.
what do I do! Please help!

Attachments

• 8A45F96B-CAE1-4AB4-8BFD-5E1E833B3CE2.jpeg
    8A45F96B-CAE1-4AB4-8BFD-5E1E833B3CE2.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 25
  • E89F9B1B-203F-4C3E-853F-A45E4B49E72A.jpeg
    E89F9B1B-203F-4C3E-853F-A45E4B49E72A.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I have a good size fat and happy blue hippo, a foxface, three Chromis, a Midas blenny, and two clowns. All who seem healthy.
This pic is showing uronema which often affects chromis and anthias - reason I asked for more pics. This is a 50/50 gamble to healing. You will want to get Quick Cure. If none, then Ruby rally Pro.
best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex at 5000ml for 10-14 days.

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic is showing uronema which often affects chromis and anthias - reason I asked for more pics. This is a 50/50 gamble to healing. You will want to get Quick Cure. If none, then Ruby rally Pro.
best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex at 5000ml for 10-14 days.
Thank you, what about my other fish? Dose all of them?
not familiar with the quick cure or ruby rally pro, but will look it up

I have corals, a clam and anenome in my tank, do these need to be removed to treat with the above?

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so update, fish is a goner. Other anthias pecking at him, as he laid on sand bed gasping. He is out of tank now.
so do I treat the tank with the above, what are my next steps so I don’t lose other fish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you, what about my other fish? Dose all of them?
not familiar with the quick cure or ruby rally pro, but will look it up

I have corals, a clam and anenome in my tank, do these need to be removed to treat with the above?
With quick cure yes and rally pro no but I encourage treatment in a seperate quarantine setting with added aeration

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ugh, that is internal Uronema. Luckily, it is not very contagious, and when it is, it only affects certain species (usually chromis, wrasse and anthias). Then, i9t almost always only infects newly acquired fish.

Now, that isn't to say that there isn't some other issue going on at the same time, but Uronema protozoans are found free living in most established tanks and don't cause any problems (they feed on bacteria mostly). Nobody knows why they infect some fish internally like that.

Jay

OP
OP
JWellisley

JWellisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that is internal Uronema. Luckily, it is not very contagious, and when it is, it only affects certain species (usually chromis, wrasse and anthias). Then, i9t almost always only infects newly acquired fish.

Now, that isn't to say that there isn't some other issue going on at the same time, but Uronema protozoans are found free living in most established tanks and don't cause any problems (they feed on bacteria mostly). Nobody knows why they infect some fish internally like that.

Jay
Sorry to be a pain with this… since that fish died, do you feel I should treat the entire DT, or treat the food? I have 2 anthias left and 3 Chromis, a foxface, hippo and scopas, 2 clowns and a blenny. All seem fine however one of the anthias I have seen make the yawning today. I don’t really see anything on the gills.
we have a uv filter that has been on as well.
from what I read if I treat the tank I need to remove my clam and anenome and May affect some corals. However I don’t want this killing off all my fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be a pain with this… since that fish died, do you feel I should treat the entire DT, or treat the food? I have 2 anthias left and 3 Chromis, a foxface, hippo and scopas, 2 clowns and a blenny. All seem fine however one of the anthias I have seen make the yawning today. I don’t really see anything on the gills.
we have a uv filter that has been on as well.
from what I read if I treat the tank I need to remove my clam and anenome and May affect some corals. However I don’t want this killing off all my fish.
So, as I mentioned, it is possible that multiple issues are going on. If the issue is a protozoan, then the treatment would require keeping the fish separate from the invertebrates. The yawning could indicate flukes - that can be treated with prazipro in a tank with invertebrates.
Jay

Back