For those who have the Coralife protein skimmer

DedElvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been posted - it didn't show up in my search or the thread recommendations.

This (V2 with needle wheel - not the airstone version) is actually working for me. Admittedly, I received it with my Biocube bundle. My tank is still maturing and here is what I have found.

Check it daily. Turn the bubbles DOWN. It DOES work.

As with any skimmer water level and bubbles matter. The Coralife is no exception - thing is it hides nicely in the back portion of your aquarium. I've seen a bunch of negative reviews. Here is my take and experience. Turn the bubbles NEARLY to off. Yep completely off, then on an 8th of a turn. Enough to see bubbles you'd never guess would produce anything. I check it daily, but I'm getting skimmate I'm nearly afraid to dump on my bushes.

If you run it full-tilt-boogie you'll get cups of water. Anyway I hope this helps anyone just getting this skimmer.

DE

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can bump the thread as it might help someone

OP
OP
DedElvis

DedElvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can bump the thread as it might help someone
Thanks Shaun! I'd just read a lot of negative reviews on Amazon. I guess the only downside is I have (need) to check it daily. Sometimes nothing, sometimes a cup full of water. After I turned the bubbles down I am getting some REALLY funky stuff I am glad to remove :)

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been posted - it didn't show up in my search or the thread recommendations.

This (V2 with needle wheel - not the airstone version) is actually working for me. Admittedly, I received it with my Biocube bundle. My tank is still maturing and here is what I have found.

Check it daily. Turn the bubbles DOWN. It DOES work.

As with any skimmer water level and bubbles matter. The Coralife is no exception - thing is it hides nicely in the back portion of your aquarium. I've seen a bunch of negative reviews. Here is my take and experience. Turn the bubbles NEARLY to off. Yep completely off, then on an 8th of a turn. Enough to see bubbles you'd never guess would produce anything. I check it daily, but I'm getting skimmate I'm nearly afraid to dump on my bushes.

If you run it full-tilt-boogie you'll get cups of water. Anyway I hope this helps anyone just getting this skimmer.

DE

Thanks for sharing your experience. My wife bought this for me for Christmas for my 32g biocube and I love it. Great advice on the needle setting because I've been trying to dial mine in for a few weeks. I will give your advice a shot.

I too read all the negative reviews and then saw an excellent review on YouTube and decided to try it out. It hasn't disappointed.

OP
OP
DedElvis

DedElvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. My wife bought this for me for Christmas for my 32g biocube and I love it. Great advice on the needle setting because I've been trying to dial mine in for a few weeks. I will give your advice a shot.

I too read all the negative reviews and then saw an excellent review on YouTube and decided to try it out. It hasn't disappointed.
Hi TheSoloist,

The skimmer has yet to let me down. In fact, I am wondering if I am doing enough mechanical filtration. I am having to dump the cup every 2-3 days, and the skimmate is dark brown/green. At any rate, that muck I am dumping is being removed from my aquarium - so I am happy! For the money, I am VERY satisfied. Back in the 90's with my first marine tank I bought a CPR Backpack with money I should have spent elsewhere. This "Cheap" skimmer is fertilizing my lawn. I am very happy with it.

adaniel1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced a lot of micro bubbles coming out of the bottom? I just bought this and that’s all I’m getting.

OP
OP
DedElvis

DedElvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced a lot of micro bubbles coming out of the bottom? I just bought this and that’s all I’m getting.
Turn it down to nothing, then turn up to first evidence of bubbles.

adaniel1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it down to nothing, then turn up to first evidence of bubbles.
I have but still a lot of micro bubbles coming from the bottom. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 29

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of bubbles but I didn’t have the patience to let it break in. I ended up turning it off. The bubbles were going to cause more harm then good since I’m cycling and I have algae bloom, adding micro bubbles to the mix didn’t seem like a good idea.

I’m going to try and go skimmerless. But I’m not gonna get rid of the skimmer until I know water changes will be sufficient.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back