Found in blackworm culture

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what these are? Flatworms?

I received my live blackworm culture today and noticed a lot of them in there.

14270A10-EF13-4B43-A1CC-C36C62213DEF.jpeg

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t spaghetti worms thin and stringy? The one in reference is thick and wide. It’s right next to the blackworms (not together).
afaik and from referencing pictures, spaghetti worms have a thicker head and thorax and the thin feeding tentacles that for me resembled your picture. Though, that’s why i’m skeptical. The head doesn’t look as long as a spaghetti worm’s, and there aren’t very many feeding tentacles.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afaik and from referencing pictures, spaghetti worms have a thicker head and thorax and the thin feeding tentacles that for me resembled your picture. Though, that’s why i’m skeptical. The head doesn’t look as long as a spaghetti worm’s, and there aren’t very many feeding tentacles.
Ah, I see. Yes that’s actually a blackworm (not tentacles) that’s next too another worm. Should have taken a better photo.

rmdelete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old but wanted to post this in case anyone stumbled across it again, those white things are pests known as Planaria... unlike the omnivore Blackworm, planaria are CARNIVOROUS and will destroy your blackworm colony. They are literally immortal and the only way to get rid of them is by either nuking the entire batch or manually removing them, I'm very sorry... if you try crushing Planaria they will just regenerate. They're rather insane, they will kill and eat shrimp and snails including their eggs. I would blame the breeder that sold you these but I also feel bad for that breeder as I know this is actually destroying his population as well.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old but wanted to post this in case anyone stumbled across it again, those white things are pests known as Planaria... unlike the omnivore Blackworm, planaria are CARNIVOROUS and will destroy your blackworm colony. They are literally immortal and the only way to get rid of them is by either nuking the entire batch or manually removing them, I'm very sorry... if you try crushing Planaria they will just regenerate. They're rather insane, they will kill and eat shrimp and snails including their eggs. I would blame the breeder that sold you these but I also feel bad for that breeder as I know this is actually destroying his population as well.
What a bummer. I'd assume that the planaria found in the blackworm culture wouldn't survive in saltwater right?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back