Foxface possible fin rot?

bearscharger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed the other day my foxface's tail fin looks like it might have fin rot. He has been in a isolation box in my display tank since 9/20 after finishing QT. I don't remember his tail like this while in QT and I know its not aggression since he hasn't been fully released into the tank. He is eating like a pig everything from algae pellets and flakes, meaty foods, and algae I pick off the rocks. Seems to be swimming around normally for the area he has to swim in. I know in the video he is white but that's because I was cleaning the tank when I took the video and he hates when I'm cleaning. Everyone else in the tank has been through the same QT process and none of them appear to have damaged fins before or after adding him.

If it is fin rot what is the recommended treatment for him and my tank now that he been in it?

Current tank parameters as of this morning are:
NO30.0
NO20.0
NH0.0
DKH7.9
PH8.0
PO40.02
Calcium401
Salinity1.024
Temp76.4

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noticed the other day my foxface's tail fin looks like it might have fin rot. He has been in a isolation box in my display tank since 9/20 after finishing QT. I don't remember his tail like this while in QT and I know its not aggression since he hasn't been fully released into the tank. He is eating like a pig everything from algae pellets and flakes, meaty foods, and algae I pick off the rocks. Seems to be swimming around normally for the area he has to swim in. I know in the video he is white but that's because I was cleaning the tank when I took the video and he hates when I'm cleaning. Everyone else in the tank has been through the same QT process and none of them appear to have damaged fins before or after adding him.

If it is fin rot what is the recommended treatment for him and my tank now that he been in it?

Current tank parameters as of this morning are:
NO30.0
NO20.0
NH0.0
DKH7.9
PH8.0
PO40.02
Calcium401
Salinity1.024
Temp76.4
Please post a couple of pics under white lighting. Video not playing

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly seems to be some caudal fin loss, but is there another fish around that is taking out those chunks? I suspect aggression from a tank mate.

OP
OP
B

bearscharger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these are clear enough.
PXL_20231007_155001104.jpg
PXL_20231007_154854087.jpg
PXL_20231007_154820510.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has been in the isolation box ever since he went into the display.
The video(s) did not play:( - But - are you saying that those lesions developed IN the isolation box with no exposure to other fish? Was there any damage when he arrived in your tank. Lastly - are things getting better or worse? Was he quarantined? Sometimes flukes can cause this type of damage - though I would wonder about a bacterial issue as well.

To answer your question - Fin Rot is usually treated with antibiotics in a hospital tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully these are clear enough.
PXL_20231007_155001104.jpg
PXL_20231007_154854087.jpg
PXL_20231007_154820510.jpg

I dont believe this is fin rot but rather mechanical damage as rabbits spook easily and can have gotten its tail into grooves of acclimation box or rubbed on piping. You can to aid healing move fish to a separate holding tank and treat with Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. In display tank- you can use ruby rally pro which will take a little longer to take effect.

OP
OP
B

bearscharger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video(s) did not play:( - But - are you saying that those lesions developed IN the isolation box with no exposure to other fish? Was there any damage when he arrived in your tank. Lastly - are things getting better or worse? Was he quarantined? Sometimes flukes can cause this type of damage - though I would wonder about a bacterial issue as well.

To answer your question - Fin Rot is usually treated with antibiotics in a hospital tank.
I noticed this the other day so I don't have a good gauge on better/worse. I don't think he had the damage while in QT. He always hides from me when I walked up to the tank so my observation time was always short. Did 15 days in copper and then 9 days in prazi pro, did a freshwater dip at the start of QT didn't see anything in the bottom of the container. Posted the videos here:
https://imgur.com/YoBlEdq

OP
OP
B

bearscharger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe this is fin rot but rather mechanical damage as rabbits spook easily and can have gotten its tail into grooves of acclimation box or rubbed on piping. You can to aid healing move fish to a separate holding tank and treat with Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. In display tank- you can use ruby rally pro which will take a little longer to take effect.
I'm hoping that's what it is, today was going to be his release day but I don't want to release him then have to try and catch him again. I hosted the videos on imgur and posted the links in another reply.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi - thanks the video worked - I was wondering - was there any time that the fish was in with other fish that might have injured the tail? Or did it go right from shipping to the acclimation box. PS - the video makes it seem more like injury

OP
OP
B

bearscharger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - thanks the video worked - I was wondering - was there any time that the fish was in with other fish that might have injured the tail? Or did it go right from shipping to the acclimation box. PS - the video makes it seem more like injury
I got him 2 days after the LFS received him I think his tankmate was a puffer for those 2 days. He was the only fish in QT at my house and then into the acclimation box.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him 2 days after the LFS received him I think his tankmate was a puffer for those 2 days. He was the only fish in QT at my house and then into the acclimation box.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

In almost every case, "fin rot" begins as some mechanical injury to the fin. then, in some circumstances, the injury becomes infected and "fin rot" sets in.

These divots in the fin are pretty large. No way the puffer could have done this unnoticed, right? A puffer can sure leave chomp marks like that.

The other possibility is as @vetteguy53081 said, the tail got damaged by the slots in the acclimation chamber.

Either way, there is a pretty good chance that releasing it into you main tank (as long as there are not incompatible fish in there) will solve the problem with no medication, fish fins heal pretty easily.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back