• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Frag

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$250 shipped

IMG_20200916_204352_185.jpg

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this ad! People can't decide if it's worth your price simply if someone tacked a name on it, or not... rather than the actual quality and colors. Such an interesting hobby.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this ad! People can't decide if it's worth your price simply if someone tacked a name on it, or not... rather than the actual quality and colors. Such an interesting hobby.
Not the case for me. I want to make sure it is a proven and aquacultured piece. They are much more hardy than the maricultured pieces coming from Indo. Many vendors are now taking them from the ocean, sitting on them for a week - month, then chopping them up. When a piece has a reputable name and lineage, you have a high chance of guaranteeing that it has been aquacultured, won't die on you immediately, and many people have successfully kept it. You also know what coloration, growth, and parameters it will thrive in. That's what a name and lineage can tell you!

I also want to make sure I don't already have the same coral as lighting and tank parameters can drastically affect how the coral looks in pics.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the case for me. I want to make sure it is a proven and aquacultured piece. They are much more hardy than the maricultured pieces coming from Indo. Many vendors are now taking them from the ocean, sitting on them for a week - month, then chopping them up. When a piece has a reputable name and lineage, you have a high chance of guaranteeing that it has been aquacultured, won't die on you immediately, and many people have successfully kept it. You also know what coloration, growth, and parameters it will thrive in. That's what a name and lineage can tell you!
Very well said. Almost everything “off the boat” looks great but many morph and or die. I will never buy another mariculture coral and stick to tried and true lineages. Has nothing to do with the name game.

Very nice Cherry bomb. I have one and it’s a great grower.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also want to make sure I don't already have the same coral as lighting and tank parameters can drastically affect how the coral looks in pics.

I have different opinions as it is largely a way to charge more for the same thing and drive demand over a hype. They all come from the ocean and a name brand shop happening to recieve that color in their indo shipment really doesn't make it "quality" it's nice for identifying and deduplicates but doesn't guarantee longevity as so many are immediately named from a single colony, fragged and distributed. If they hold onto it for years and grows well and thrives in other systems, sure. But I dont think that's always the case.

OP
OP
Krull

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate your stance on this topic. Im not a chop shop vendor. Aquacultured pieces that have lineage usually grow much faster and obviously much more stable. Any wild pieces that I do decide to grow out usually takes months if not a good year before they are even close to being ready to chop up. Obviously your have to extra cautious with acros because they are a finicky coral - why they fall under that difficult to keep category.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back