Fragging a Pearl Bubble Coral

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some tips on techniques to frag a bubble coral? I have a beautiful Pearl bubble coral that is getting too large for our tank and I am contemplating trying to frag it. It is about the size of two softballs when fully open. I am pretty new to the fragging game so any advice is welcomed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412035677.221301.jpg

OP
OP
Vaiodude

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks we bought it at TCR about a year ago. It has tripled in size since then!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wet bandsaw is really recommended. When i frag wall corals i get some sand in a small container and immediately after fragging i put super glue on the entire cut portion then dip it in the sand then back in the tank it goes.

shayna123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a giant bubble too. I have always been to nervous to frag it. Sps are easy to frag but bubbles are much trickier. Maybe you could try to work out a deal with someone or a lfs to help for a piece of it? Good luck-its a beauty!

LeslieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend this but when I was going to transfer my "Bubble Boy" coral to my new tank I was worried about the bubble algae on part of the base. It wouldn't scrub off so I took a chisel and gave a big whack on the base.

Instead of a nice, neat separation of the algaed base, I also got 3 smaller pieces that each had some live tissue. Finesse is not always a strong point with me. I shrugged, put them all in the tank and they all lived. Good luck, that is a beautiful piece.

blue2337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same one & fragged it with a dremmel. Start from underneath and go slow. I seperated one with 7 heads into 3 singles which I sold & have been told are doing good and growing. The piece I kept has grown to the original size again.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thread comes up first on google when looking up fragging bubble coral. I think the universe is wanting to know how your fragging went, what tools and how it is now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back