Freshwater ick and parasites, in SW?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I run any major risks by feeding my reef some freshwater ghost shrimp from petsupermarket? Are there any freshwater pathogens that can infect my SW fish? Freshwater ick for example?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No risk of ich. Freshwater ich can not survive in a marine environment. That said, I would be unsure about bacteria or viruses though.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have heard that is possible of crossing over was intestinal worms. This was in the case of black mollies transitioned to full marine. Not sure this problem would exists with freshwater inverts. I read this in an @Humblefish thread about using mollies as canary fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically speaking, some bacteria can live in either environment. But I've never had an issue with converted black mollies introducing a bacterial infection into a SW tank.

The real headache is intestinal worms (as @JasonK84 mentioned). Sometimes once the SW gets into their system it eliminates these, sometimes not. I always food soak fenbendazole or prazi while converting them just in case.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back