Frozen food slurry?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone thaw frozen food and keep a refrigerated slurry in clean water for any period of time longer than a day? I’m kicking around an idea for a DIY automatic feeder using a mini fridge and pump…

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mix mine with water but I do keep it in the fridge for a day even 2 days sometimes. Fish don't complain and it smells about the same as when I thaw it. Currently I mix PE mysis, frozen Hikari cubes varying types and Rods original with a few drops of vitachem and selcon

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mix mine with water but I do keep it in the fridge for a day even 2 days sometimes. Fish don't complain and it smells about the same as when I thaw it. Currently I mix PE mysis, frozen Hikari cubes varying types and Rods original with a few drops of vitachem and selcon
Does anyone thaw frozen food and keep a refrigerated slurry in clean water for any period of time longer than a day? I’m kicking around an idea for a DIY automatic feeder using a mini fridge and pump…
I make food for 4 days...yes...many on R2R will tell you it's a no no...but I make my saltwater food for 4 days, keep it it refrigerated. Fish, coral love it. I add dry food and reef caviar as a second feeding. I keep the caviar frozen. Never have any issues.

I mix LRS or Rods, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef and Brine Shrimp, and a tad of food my LFS makes.

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing my own for years. Mussels, clams, shrimp, from the seafood counter, chopped and mixed with PE mysis and calnis, then a little nori mixed I for good measure. Then I freeze the cubes in silicone trays with glad peel and stick as a lid. It must be completely frozen for 4 days after mixing to kill all bacteria.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this when I travel for work which is generally a couple weeks per month. I use a Way oversized kamoer peristaltic pump I had to manually wire up. I think it runs at 500ml/min or so. I had to pick one in this range because it has a larger tube diameter that doesn’t get clogged with the food. I also only use pe mysis because it’s a consistent size and doesn’t clog for the most part. I have the pump mounted on top of a mini fridge (one of the ones that holds 4-5 soda cans) and inside I have a vessel to hold the food/ro mixture and a stir plate. I generally add some citric acid to lower the ph and inhibit some bacterial growth but I don’t always do it. I have no idea if this theory has any merit, but I feel a little better about the bacteria growing in pe mysis since it’s a freshwater shrimp and *in my theory* should grow bacteria that’s less likely to be harmful to a reef aquarium than something sourced from the ocean. I’ve been using this setup for roughly a year and a half without any issues. Between uses I remove the vessel and runs bunch of hydrogen peroxide through the system. I normally turn the pump on for 5-10 seconds let it clear the line of the left over fish juices then let it sit for 20-30 mins and repeat several times.

DocMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been working on the following ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2024-diy-frozen-food-feeder.1054288/ ) for the last few months - can feed 4 cubes every second day for 20 days.

While keeping the food just below zero I also use preservatives to keep the food fresh. Got the idea here: Automatic Frozen/refrigerated food dispenser | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

I have also changed it a little, using a second small pump to back fill with salt water mixed with the preservative mix rather than using tank water. I do backwash enough tank water to rinse the tube of the main pump.

Pumps are both Atlas-scientific (probably the best dosing pumps I have found).

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not backfill with RO? I don’t see any reason to add bacterial rich water to our frozen slurry’s.

DocMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I backfill with RO + Red Sea Salt (to correct concentration) + preservatives (again to correct concentration) so as to keep the temp below zero degrees C. RO would freeze. Salt water freezes at -1.8 degress.

Not sure it makes a huge difference but I like the idea that it is below the freezing point of water.

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. It's a small container I fill with tank water and mix up frozen, reef roids, AB+ . I refrigerate it up to a week and feed daily

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.6%
Back