Full grown blonde naso?? Should I buy?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a new LFS about 50 mins away, well new to me, and found this big boa…
IMG_3874.jpeg
The guy working says he is bassicly a employee with how long he has been there and he has been copper and medicated and still hasn’t sold due to his size. He is my guess 12+in and 2in streamers, only for 600. While they have like 5-6in naso for 250 also medicated.
I am cycling a 180 right now with 40gal sump and it’s going to be a fish with some coral tank, and my mascot fish is a blonde naso as I already have a hand painted portrait on the tank. Is he to big already for that tank? Should I get a 6in one instead? Would he kill any future tang with his size? Also do wanna say never seen a tang be hand fed nori till I meet this big fella rip it out of the employees hand. SO SWEET!
If it helps I am getting a 36watt sterilizer for the tank soon just don’t know if he is to big off the jump

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not full grown yet, but yes the golden retriever of the reef. I've owned one in every system and they are imo the smartest fish. Probably the least aggressive tang I've ever owned but won't put up with any bs either. Be prepared to feed that bad boy well nori ain't gonna cut it. He'll need at least a buck or two a day of quality frozen. Good luck great looking fish.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not full grown yet, but yes the golden retriever of the reef. I've owned one in every system and they are imo the smartest fish. Probably the least aggressive tang I've ever owned but won't put up with any bs either. Be prepared to feed that bad boy well nori ain't gonna cut it. He'll need at least a buck or two a day of quality frozen. Good luck great looking fish.
Do you think a 180 is big enough for him? 6x2x2. Also how much food we talking like buy frozen shrimp and cut up big pieces for him or what? Would it eat pellets you think?

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't recommend it blonde nasso as they need plenty of swimming space. They can grow to approximately 18 inches as an adult and most recommend at least 250 gal or an 8' tank or larger. Unless you plan to rehome the fish or plan to upgrade to a larger tank. They are also typically non aggressive with other fish but with ones that share the same shape not so much as appreciated of them. Plus I find I get to attached to my fish so would be hard to rehome.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't recommend it blonde nasso as they need plenty of swimming space. They can grow to approximately 18 inches as an adult and most recommend at least 250 gal or an 8' tank or larger. Unless you plan to rehome the fish or plan to upgrade to a larger tank. They are also typically non aggressive with other fish but with ones that share the same shape not so much as appreciated of them.
So I should go with a 6in one for now and let it grow and then re home or upgrade down the line?

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give or take couple years. There still Juveniles at 4-6 inches and that's when they start to get there streamers but about a couple years he or she will be allot bigger and will need a larger tank just depends how well it thrives in the tank and how fast it grows.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give or take couple years. There still Juveniles at 4-6 inches and that's when they start to get there streamers but about a couple years he or she will be allot bigger and will need a larger tank just depends how well it thrives in the tank and how fast it grows.
Sounds good, we’ll I am at a 180 and not even a year into the hobby so by my calculations should have a ocean by year 3-4

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a 180 is big enough for him? 6x2x2. Also how much food we talking like buy frozen shrimp and cut up big pieces for him or what? Would it eat pellets you think?
I've always fed my tangs emerald entrée and it seems to have everything in it they need. I don't like nori rapped around my sticks and with high flow doesn't work well for me. Most acans will hit 4 - 6 inch relatively quick and then slow down to maybe an inch a year give or take. I'm guessing that fish is close to 10 years old. I would say the fish will be fine if your not gonna throw 300 ponds of rock in there.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only live once. Might as well enjoy it. Assuming one willing to just give that fish away if it outgrows accommodations then I’d have at it. Free likely to more quickly find a new home

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too new of a tank, too big of a fish for a 180, and not a Blonde Naso
Since you cannot tell a Blonde Naso from Naso your affinity to the Blonde Naso cannot be that serious. It is a beautiful fish, but require more than a brand new 180 gal tank with a reefer/aquarist who have not look too much into the fish that he apparently “really wanted”
Do a search , read about them. They often have sudden unexpected death that I think (IMO) associated with stress and inadequate living condition.

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the joy of this hobyy for me is watching, and getting the satisfaction that you have kept, "grown" a fish from young to adult, so i personally wouldnt. The smaller the better in most cases for me and Naso's in general are hungry horses and grow extremely quickly in the right environment.

Id also say even though your tanks large, its still not alrge enough for a full grown Naso even though this one isnt quite there yet.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back