Fungia- question regarding placement

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this coral few days before. I know that normal should be placed on sand. The problem is that i have a fine sand and the orange side of the coral, witch is more attractive get covered by sand. I remove the coral and i place him on the rocks.
Is this a bad decision for the coral health??
Looks ugly?
I know it's a fungia but you know what type of fungia is?
The coral its around 6-7cm - 2,5 inch in diameter
Thanks

IMG_4249.JPG

Last edited:

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this coral few days before. I know that normal should be placed on sand. The problem is that i have a fine sand and the orange side of the coral, witch is more attractive get covered by sand. I remove the coral and i place him on the rocks.
Is this a bad decision for the coral health??
Looks ugly?
I know it's a fungia but you know what type of fungia is?
The coral its around 7 inch in diameter
Thanks

IMG_4249.JPG
It might be harder for it to feed at an angle, and fungia can easily get blown around by currents so that's a consideration for placement as well. Hate to see it flip over onto something else! looks like a short tentacle variety, nice colors!

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4263.JPG
It's thrue about feeding...i don't want to look stupid but i was thinking to glu the fungia on the rock...with a small amount of glue.
This is a photo from other angle.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine on the sand & some days it would get sand on it. Either it would push it off or I would lightly blow it off with a turkey baster. Mine would move around slowly. I'm not sure if it would be able to on the rocks, or it might damage itself or fall. Probably best to leave it on the sand in a lower flow area.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine on the sand & some days it would get sand on it. Either it would push it off or I would lightly blow it off with a turkey baster. Mine would move around slowly. I'm not sure if it would be able to on the rocks, or it might damage itself or fall. Probably best to leave it on the sand in a lower flow area.

Fungia will move?? i really didn1t know that. for sure is not possible where i place her....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungia inflate themselves with water and float with the currents (aka "walk"). They normally drift around in a tank. Mine like to float upward and land upon other live corals and hard substrates in the tank. It appears that they engulf other coral and maybe feeding upon these corals (birdsnest, SPS frags, pocillopora) by landing on top of them.

Do not glue fungia to the substrate. Fungid larva settle from out of the plankton and will initially attach onto hard substrates. They grow (to about a nickel in diameter) and then detach and float free. They can grow fast if you feed them plankton. If you want to keep your fungia on the sandy bottom of the tank, I would recommend that you use a flat rock or some larger pieces of coral rubble and place those onto the sand bed where you want the fungia to be. They appear to do better if they have circulation underneath them, imo.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely experiment with different locations around the tank until you find a spot where the coral won't get buried in sand. Like mentioned above it would definitely suck if that thing to fell off the rocks onto something else or just got damaged along the way. Fungia corals are not the most resilient when it comes down to recovering from an injury too.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back