General Questions regarding struggling Tank

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hoping to get some feedback for problems I have been having on a 105 frag tank. I almost want to say it is dinos due to the unwillingness to fix the problem after trying almost everything.

Backstory:
The tank is about 6-7 months old, and is decked out to the brim, reefmatt, xr15s, uv sterilizer, apex and trident.
I have since the very start struggled with cloudy water, and an algae outbreak of thin small brown algae on everything glass rocks sand which happens overnight with large ph swings, as provided below show on calibrated apex ph system, torches and hammers seem to be the most affected by the algae and the swings that come with it.
I have syphoned sand a cleaned out sump multiple times to try to get rid of this problem but it always comes back in a night.
Other corals seem less affected and I have even got a par meter to test lighting which all comes back in good ranges. I have done an icp test on the tank. Which shows that my phosphate is at .06 and nitrate around the .7 range, I have a phosphate reactor on the tank also.
Will provide pictures below and will try to get better pictures of algae also.
Feel free to leave any thoughts, all is welcome I’m just tired of dealing with it to the point I may restart the tank.

IMG_8779.png IMG_8778.png IMG_8693.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate low, phosphate on the low end.
Maybe your export is too, too strong.

If you algae problem leaves at night but back when lights on then likely Dino’s.

Your nutrients are low so pest stuff likes this.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is "TMP" showing the temperature? I'm not familiar with apex displays, but if so, 19.5 C is pretty low.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dosing something like aminos and phyto to compensate for the extreme filtration.

OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate low, phosphate on the low end.
Maybe your export is too, too strong.

If you algae problem leaves at night but back when lights on then likely Dino’s.

Your nutrients are low so pest stuff likes this.
It doesn’t leave at night necessarily, seems to come on in the morning and not leave until I take it out manually.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What range would you recommend for both, and how would you recommend getting it to the higher range? More feeding?
Feeding takes much longer, so I bump nitrate to maintain a steady 5-15ppm nitrate reading and a steady phosphate in the 0.1-0.15ppm range.

I use Neo-Nitro and Neo-Phos to get the readings in line quick, then use some feeding changes to maintain them longer term.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back