Getting BTA to stay on island rock

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rainbow BTA for my clowns to hopefully host in my old tank and they never took to it. I recently transferred them to my new tank and now they are hosting my GSP isolated on this rock in the corner. They mainly seem to like staying in the one corner as in my old tank. I would like to give them a nem to try and host but don’t want it wandering all over and destroying my corals. If I were to give it a small island rock in the corner surrounded by sand, will it stay or more likely to detach all together and float around to my powerheads and immediate death?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rainbow BTA for my clowns to hopefully host in my old tank and they never took to it. I recently transferred them to my new tank and now they are hosting my GSP isolated on this rock in the corner. They mainly seem to like staying in the one corner as in my old tank. I would like to give them a nem to try and host but don’t want it wandering all over and destroying my corals. If I were to give it a small island rock in the corner surrounded by sand, will it stay or more likely to detach all together and float around to my powerheads and immediate death?
There’s no telling. Best bet is to get a big rock full of holes because anemones like those since they can get a good hold of them. Then make that an island. I have two anemones in my rockwork among lots of coral... doesn’t bother them at all. The anemones haven’t been bad or floating around as much as I thought they would. They’ve been firmly put... of course they wander a bit in the beginning but they they turn out fine

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the rock island but that never stopped any of ours from wondering around the tank. For the most part they stay put but every now and then we have some move around on the glass or detach and relocate. We have over 20 in the nem tank at any given time, but for the number of nems its not alot of movement. I do recommend covers for your powerheads if you choose to get one. :)

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am likely not going to add it to my new reef tank because it is a) new (although parameters will be more stable due to my trident and algae reactor) and b) I don’t want it to destroy my corals. I’ve been toying with the idea of making a nem tank for my office so likely that’s what i will do with my old tank.

not sure if either of you are nem experts but I was told that different colored BTAs can kill other BTAs? Meaning, the ultra rainbow I have now could kill a CSB or Colorado nem that I would want to get down the road?

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my wife wanted to give it a try. Luckily he was on a small rock to begin with so we just moved him and the rock to the new tank and put it in clown corner and put the foam guard on the near MP40 to see how this will work in the short term. If he moves he will go back to the old tank.

D21CA51E-26ED-434B-B5C8-3F908CB02B67.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back