Getting frustrated with nitrate/phosphate levels

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeder really stopped me from zeroing out phosphates. Now always hover .08-.18 range PO4 and 15-20 nitrates with my feeders. Highly recommend them.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my hanna checker in and first test came out at 0.01phos. Over a couple days I got it up to 0.03, and when I tested the next day it dropped to 0.01 again. I had to start dosing neophos at about triple the recommended dose to get it to raise to the 0.03.
Seems to have dropped pretty fast, or could just be the variability of the tester?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my hanna checker in and first test came out at 0.01phos. Over a couple days I got it up to 0.03, and when I tested the next day it dropped to 0.01 again. I had to start dosing neophos at about triple the recommended dose to get it to raise to the 0.03.
Seems to have dropped pretty fast, or could just be the variability of the tester?

Could be either, but it may take large doses of phosphate to overcome binding the calcium carbonate surfaces as you try to raise it. I'd raise the daily dose more.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be either, but it may take large doses of phosphate to overcome binding the calcium carbonate surfaces as you try to raise it. I'd raise the daily dose more.
Randy , when getting phosphate to a stable level will it bring the nitrates down at all?

And what level do you shoot for if there is 15-20ppm nitrates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy , when getting phosphate to a stable level will it bring the nitrates down at all?

And what level do you shoot for if there is 15-20ppm nitrates?
If phosphate is presently limiting the growth of an organism, such as macroalgae, then yes, nitrate may begin to decline faster.

But if phosphate was not low enough to be growth limiting, then no, higher phosphate does not make nitrate decline faster.

My recommendation is 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate, 24 h after dosing, with higher levels better than below that range. Same recommendation regardless of the nitrate level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back