GFO media ?

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bayreefer is correct, BRS has good deals and it works well. Another route you can go is RowaPhos. It guarantees that no phosphates will be "leached" back into the water once the media has expired (i.e. soaked up all the PO4 it can). I have used both with great success - can't go wrong either way. Hope that helps!

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo is on sale right now at bulk reef supply, so it is the cheapest place to get them now. if its not on sale, then dr foster and smith phospure is cheaper.
brs instructions is like 1 tbs per 2 gallons, while dfs instructions is 1tbs per 50 gallons. I have always followed dfs instructions even if I am using brs gfo and it works just fine, very minimal algae, only need to clean the glass once a week.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the granlular GFO from BRS. Have tried the others but have come back to this for easy of use, economy, and efficacy.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried BRS HC, BRS regular, kent PowerPhos, warner phosar HC (which is EXACTLY the same as BRS HC) and PuraPhoslock. I prefer the HC because they are less dusty however the Kent worked just as well (and cost as much if not more but I can get it locally which I cant with BRS). the others worked well to on paper (test equipment) but the HC and Kent consistantly made red turf algae turn bright orange and die off completely which the others didn't do (may not have lasted long enough before exhausting). perhaps coincident who knows. I'm fairly confident ANY brand of fresh GFO/GFH will work great until its exhausted, its just a matter of which brands/types exhaust faster/slower. and even that can probably be compensated for to a great extent by simply using significantly more of brand a that doesn't work quite as well as brand b (such as using 2x the amount of regular BRS vs BRS HC). in other words dont lose sleep over the brand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back